Author Topic: California's PCBR segment as "state bike route 95" in OSM  (Read 1284 times)

Offline Steve All

California's PCBR segment as "state bike route 95" in OSM
« on: September 09, 2013, 05:51:29 pm »
May I introduce myself?  I am Steve All, you may read something about me here:  http://www.adventurecycling.org/resources/blog/openstreetmap-the-web-based-mapping-project

I live in California.  I asked Penny Gray (Caltrans Bicycle Program Manager) whether the Pacific Coast Bicycle Route (PCBR) had a number designation, as it was confusingly called "1" in OpenStreetMap (OSM).  She told me (and I quote):  The route has been referred to as the Pacific Coast Bicycle Route and not as a specific route number, based on info that I can find.  I removed the "ref=1" tag in OSM, but then the route displayed as the usual state-level (turquoise) route, but without a "shield" or little-number-in-a-box.  I got to thinking....

Because it is quite likely that PCBR will become USBR 95, I then decided (as a California Citizen) to "assert" the number 95, at a statewide level (rcn for "regional (statewide) cycleway network" number) for the PCBR.  It is an actual route, in OSM it has tags:

bicycle=route
relation=route
network=rcn (meaning "regional," or statewide in the USA, not national or local)
name=Pacific Coast Bicycle Route

So, I added a ref=PC95 tag, meaning that I assert 95 as a statewide (not national, or ncn) number in preparation for this "now state 95, in the future likely to become national/USBR 95" route.

I'm OK with this, as the route seemed to need a number at the state level.  What better one to choose than 95?!

Indeed, San Francisco does something similar by conflating its "local 95" route with what San Franciscans envision as becoming the "national 95" route -- look along the Great Highway here:  http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=12/37.7447/-122.4081&layers=C

All I'm doing is "filling in the middle" to allow a smooth transition.

Makes sense?

Offline cgarch

Re: California's PCBR segment as "state bike route 95" in OSM
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 05:55:58 pm »
Yeah, I kinda get it. But I've wondered why routes on the left coast don't start with 1 and finish in the 90s on the right coast, sort of left to right. S'pose this is could be confusing dodging on and off of CA 1. But then why isn't the route numbered 99, given that the right coast starts with corridor 1? Or is there hope for a Corridor 99 in Hawaii? The similarity to the US highway numbering system is hard to miss (in contrast to the Interstate numbering system). Good for a beer fueled discussion . .