Author Topic: New to touring - planning a January FLA trip  (Read 421 times)

Offline Moriah Mahoney

New to touring - planning a January FLA trip
« on: September 21, 2013, 10:10:10 am »
I have a plan to meet a group of women in FLA for a tour in the Keys in January.  I have not done a multi day tour before.
My thought was I would rent a bike for the tour - considering gear is key to a successful tour and overall happiness does
anyone have advice to offer on if this is possible?  And if you are familiar with FLA any place to contact about
rentals (any key questions to ask?).
Also any input on that southern portion of the Atlantic coast appreciated.  Thank you.
M Mahoney

Offline johnsondasw

Re: New to touring - planning a January FLA trip
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 12:27:38 pm »
I would suggest you get the bike fitted for you so you don't get unnecessary aches and pains or, worse, injuries.  This make s the rental idea more expensive because a real professional fit can cost $150 or so.  I rode too long on a bike that was poorly fitted for me and had to quit riding for awhile until my back, neck, wrists, etc healed up.  This was after a LBS guy told me how to do bike fitting and supposedly "fitted" me to the bike.  Then when I got really fitted by a real professional, the difference was night and day.  Sometimes they have to change out parts; for me that included a new stem.
May the wind be at your back!

Offline John Nelson

Re: New to touring - planning a January FLA trip
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 02:01:34 pm »
Renting a bike suitable for touring may be difficult. There is not much demand for them, so most shops won't carry one. Then there's the questions of racks, panniers, etc.

A lot depends on how far you will be riding per day, how many days, how much gear, etc. It also depends on what the alternatives are. Do you currently have a suitable bike?