Author Topic: Florida-traffic on connector and coast routes  (Read 923 times)

Offline lindagould

Florida-traffic on connector and coast routes
« on: October 28, 2013, 02:13:37 pm »
How busy are the AC routes in Florida?  Does anyone have experience with them? The description indicates rather busy.

Offline wbst31

Re: Florida-traffic on connector and coast routes
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 06:52:20 pm »
Linda,

Not bad recently.  Check out my last ride on part of the Florida Connector.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 08:02:25 pm by wbst31 »

Offline Westinghouse

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 11:56:24 pm »
90 is pretty good traffic-wise. Actually, I have cycled them all.Traffic density is really reasonable. Avoid Orlando, US 1, and such main arteries where many cars come and go. Parts of highway 27 are Florida's suicide route in winter. Farther north 27 is good. Our Gov said FL is no longer the "dive or die state" for cyclists. Well, uhh, I think the Gov hasn't bike toured the state. The ST is fairly good for motorized traffic density. However, many cyclists get creamed here. In 20 years in my small town (16,000 people) eight people I knew  have been killed on their bikes. I did not count the surviving injured. Maybe 20-25.  The eight were people I had known to some extent in this town. Many others I did not know have been killed or injured. I have experienced such blatant negligent disregard of myrights as a cyclist by motorists it could be described as gross criminality. Even with many witnesses and police present nobody said a word as though it was acceptable behavior which it most certainly was not.

In short, your interaction with traffic will depend on where in particular you cycle.The ACA ST route is quite safe. Use it.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 11:59:55 pm by Westinghouse »

Offline tonythomson

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 03:13:37 am »
Hi Linda, what might be a good idea is to give some idea what your plans are for cycling in Florida.  As stated above some of the roads are awful, however, there are many trails that are just brilliant and I incorporated these in my ST tour previously.
The trails are really so good and pass though some very cycle friendly towns, in fact I've become such a fan that I have recently bought a house on the West Orange Trail near Winter Garden.

Basically with a bit of research and planning there is some great (winter) riding in Florida.  Can't wait to get back from the UK.
Just starting to record my trips  www.tonystravels.com

Offline Westinghouse

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 10:22:40 am »
Yes, the dedicated trails are excellent as far as they go, which isn't far enough. I would love to see trails like those across the continent and connected. Tammany Trace in Louisiana is a good example of what I'd like to see all the way across from the Atlantic to the Pacific. Aint gonna happen, I know. Just saying. I am not looking seriously at doing the ST again, with my own routes, of course. 90 is a very good route for cycling. It can get hilly. 20 farther south is as good as 90 and shorter. 98 on the coast is flat, but you will get lots of side winds off the gulf.. You're better off with the hills in my opinion'

Offline dayjack119

• Road Warrior
  • 2014 PacificNW@70 Solo Bicycle Tour
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 02:37:11 pm »
I took A1A (beach roads) all the way up from Key West this year to Maine.  Usually flat, little traffic, and lots of wide shoulders.  It was very scenic and surprisingly undeveloped.  Much of the coastline is set-aside.  I was really surprised.  And the views were gorgeous.