Author Topic: Yellowstone to Rapid City, SD  (Read 522 times)

Offline NBThomas

Yellowstone to Rapid City, SD
« on: November 13, 2013, 07:34:10 pm »
Hello cyclists.

I am looking to ride the USA this 2014 summer.  There seems to be a dearth of info for riding off the ACA routes. Does anyone have aroute from Yellowstone to Mt Rushmore they would like to share? Like to stay on pavement.

Online indyfabz

Re: Yellowstone to Rapid City, SD
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 01:28:01 pm »
Have you cheked crazyguyonabike? You might also want to register with bikeforums.net if you haven't already. There is a touring subforum.

Offline litespeed

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 10:37:52 pm »
I rode Mt. Rushmore to Yellowstone on US16 and 14 (and some stretches of interstate) nine years ago. I made it all right. There are some lonely and some difficult stretches but nothing unsurmountable. Descending east down out of Yellowstone is narrow, winding and shoulderless. Try to hit it at low traffic times if possible. Climbing over the Bighorns will give you serious bragging rights. Climbing up on 14A is 10% for 13 miles. I understand 14 is marginally easier. There is nothing at Ucross so water up between Sheridan and Clearmont. Ditto between Spotted Horse and Gillette. There is also nothing (that I recall) between Lovell and the Bighorns. Going through Greybull and Buffalo on 16 might be easier.

Offline jamawani

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 10:56:39 pm »
Lite -

Not exactly.
I live in the region and have ridden all roads in question.
But the OP offers so little info to go on that I am reluctant to share.
In fact, didn't he/she mention the term "share"?

J

Offline windrath

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 04:43:48 pm »
NBThomas -

I have done the ride a couple of different ways out of Yellowstone.  Yup - you get close to 10,000'.  It gets very hot - over 100 most days.

For what it is worth, it is legal to ride the interstate (I-90) from Buffalo to Gillette (at least it was in 2003).  Not a fun ride and no services whatsoever.  BUT, it is about 70-75 miles instead of 100 miles if you go through Spotted Horse.  I rode the non-interstate route and it is long and hot.  The only thing Spotted Horse had was an ice machine outside a closed bar (July 4th).  With the temp close to 100, I could not believe the ice machine was unlocked, so you know what I did. :)

The downside to the interstate is the traffic, lack of services, and a lot of road trash. The upside - the shoulder is very wide and there is traffic should you have a problem.

After Gillette. find your way down to Newcastle for the night (and listen to the coal trains going through every 10 minutes).  From there, it is pretty straight forward to Mt. Rushmore.

Have fun.

Paul