Author Topic: Transam Motels around Jeffrey City, Wy?  (Read 1556 times)

Offline camasa45

Transam Motels around Jeffrey City, Wy?
« on: November 14, 2013, 06:31:15 pm »
Can anyone advise me as to whether there are any lodging options other than camping around the Jeffrey City, Wy area?

Thanks

Offline John Nettles

Re: Transam Motels around Jeffrey City, Wy?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 06:54:10 pm »
Unless they have added something the past 18 months, there are hardly any businesses there at all.  If you require indoor lodging, you could head south to Rock Springs from Jackson and then over to Rawlins on I-80.  Yes, it is blah scenery along I-80 but you would have multiple options for indoor accommodations (and camping).  Plus there are a couple of places to get some really big ice cream cones.  Basically, you trade nicer scenery and less traffic for a lot more services.
Happy trails and may the wind be at your back!
John

Offline mathieu

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 08:04:47 pm »
Adventure Cycling's 2012 June Curry Trail Angel Award was given to a trio from Jeffrey City for providing resources and shelter to cyclists.
I camped in his yard, but Byron, the owner of Monk King Bird Pottery, had also offered me accomodation in a trailer or on the floor of his studio.
It's not a motel, not even a business, but good old private hospitality.
http://www.bikingbis.com/2012/12/13/awards-to-those-who-help-bicycle-travelers-in-need/

Offline indyfabz

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 11:05:08 am »
Brings back memories of the lovely, and now defunct, JC Motel. One guest who stayed there near the end reported mushrooms growing out of the carpet in his room.

IIRC, there was a church in town that allowed people to stay there until somebody/some people did something to mess that up.

FYI...JC was established as a uranium mining town. The town started down hill around '81 after the bottom fell out of the uranium market. When I was there in '00 you could still see some of the barrack-type buildings that once housed workers.

Offline John Nelson

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 11:54:27 am »
I slept in Byron's trailer. It's not exactly camping, but it's closer to camping than it is to a motel. No water but it does have electrical outlets and a couple of beds, and it keeps most of the plentiful mosquitoes out. The only bathrooms available are at the bar across the street (The Split Rock Cafe), but I think it's open early and late, so there's only the 2:00 a.m. until 6:00 a.m. window that you don't have a bathroom.

There used to be a church that let you sleep in their basement, but I heard that it's no longer available, and you needed to bring your own sleeping bag.

I've also camped in the Lion's Club pavilion. Pretty dismal.

I believe that the 92-mile stretch of the TransAm from Lander to Lamont is the longest segment of the route without a motel, and if you don't count the teepees in Lamont, then the stretch is 125 miles from Lander to Rawlins.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 11:59:42 am by John Nelson »

Offline mathieu

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 12:51:13 pm »
In that kaleidoscope of American landscapes and historic places that the Transam aspires to be, I found Jeffrey City one of the most memorable places, a highlight.
I am glad I didn't miss it and was fascinated to read more about its history in http://www.sublettewyo.com/ArchiveCenter/ViewFile/Item/87

« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 01:07:45 pm by mathieu »

Offline Cyclesafe

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 05:27:48 pm »
If you rest up in Rawlings/Lander and get a pre-dawn start you can make Lander/Rawlings before it gets too dark.  Just pray that you don't get a head wind.  Northbound I made it to the Handcart Memorial for camping, but I had planned to stay in JC.  But the conditions there were so inhospitable that I pushed on.  At about that same distance is a rest stop at which you could probably camp in a pinch. 
Hoping to do the North Star with ACA in 2014.

Offline yumadons

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 06:36:22 pm »
Follow mathieu's link to Monk King Bird Pottery or friend them on Facebook for contact info. Be sure to call Byron & reserve the trailer if you're coming during TransAm's busy season as there's no other place to stay in Jeffrey City without camping equipment. I've also heard the church is no longer available. You can always call the pastor & ask, he's very nice. In a journal on CrazyGuy, two girls stayed in this room at the church in June 2012 without needing sleeping bags:

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/pic/?pic_id=1466988

There's a guy in Muddy Gap who rents out 2 hunting trailers, his phone # is on the back of the Adventure Cycling map (I can look it up & let you know if you need it). Muddy Gap is another 24 miles past Jeffrey City going W to E, or 44 miles past Rawlins going E to W. Good to know cuz this is a really windy stretch of Wyoming and the road from Rawlins to Jeffrey City has potholes & heavy trailer truck traffic. So you may not make it as far as you planned on those days.

We rode W to E without camping equiment averaging a wimpy 43 miles daily & documented all lodging contact & cost info at:

http://bicyclelife.topicwise.com/doc/?o=1&doc_id=9261&v=3O0

Offline Bclayden

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2013, 07:56:38 pm »
I rode through Jeffrey City in July.  Jeffrey City was about the mid-way point of a long day riding between Lander and Alcova.  Definitely no motel in JC...and if there was you wouldn't want to stay there but be sure to stop and check it out.

Jeffrey City is a very unique modern ghost town and worth a few minutes to explore the deserted old buildings, dorms, etc.  It was abandoned in the early 90's after the Cold War ended and the uranium mine was shut down.  THe only place I found open is a sketchy bar with a couple of hard core locals.  Still, the drinks are cold. 

Jeffrey City is a creepy place but not soon forgotten if you have the time to stop.

Offline camasa45

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2013, 08:48:07 am »
I tried the Monk King Bird Pottery and it looks like that is no longer around.  Also tried Pastor David and got a kick back on the email as not working.  I don't know if there are any other options.

Offline Cyclesafe

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2013, 09:16:49 am »
I think that he only option on this stretch (if you are not camping and 125 miles is too much) is to get a ride in somebody's pick up truck for enough of the distance that the rest of the day is doable.  Offering money to someone at the last gas station allows you to screen drivers and vehicles, locals will understand your situation and likely be receptive to making some unexpected extra money.  They might even refuse your money, but nevertheless appreciate your supply of donuts, coffee, and good conversation for part of what for them is probably a very boring drive.
Hoping to do the North Star with ACA in 2014.

Offline jamawani

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2013, 09:25:54 am »
In that kaleidoscope of American landscapes and historic places that the Transam aspires to be, I found Jeffrey City one of the most memorable places, a highlight.
I am glad I didn't miss it and was fascinated to read more about its history in http://www.sublettewyo.com/ArchiveCenter/ViewFile/Item/87

Actually, I wrote an article that was published before the linked article here.
http://www.uwyo.edu/robertshistory/home_on_the_range_no_more.htm

My article is titled, "Home on the Range No More: Boom and Bust in Jeffrey City".
His article is titled, "Home on the Range No More: The Boom and Bust of a Wyoming Uranium Mining Town, 1957-1988".

I was a first-year grad student at the time publishing locally.
He was completing his doctorate and published in a major journal.
Make of it what you will.

<<<>>>

Jeffrey City has continued to shrink since the early 1990s.  As Gov. Hershler hinted at 30 years ago, there was a short resurgence of uranium in the early 2000s, but I think that Fukushima has nixed it.  At the time of the creation of the TransAm route, there were more than 4000 people.  You were one of the lucky ones if you had an apartment or one of the pre-fab houses that are now concrete holes in the ground.  It is a sobering experience spending an hour walking around the townsite - something I highly suggest as a stop on a cross-country tour.

Offline Bclayden

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2013, 02:33:45 pm »
Janawani-  Thanks for the Jeffrey City story.  Very interesting.  I had some idea of its unique history before I passed through in July but wish I had seen your article beforehand.  What a interesting bit of modern American history.

Likely most travelers passing Jeffrey City don't even give it a glance as they drive by.