Author Topic: Land End to John O'Groats  (Read 864 times)

Offline rapidrobert

Land End to John O'Groats
« on: December 12, 2013, 11:18:10 am »
Has anyone any recommendations for a touring company to do the LEJOG tour?

Offline tonythomson

Re: Land End to John O'Groats
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 05:49:46 pm »
Hi RR not aware of any companies running LEJOG tours but it is done by many people and not too difficult to organise yourself. I guess you are in the USA but you can go onto the CTC site and there you will find endless information on the various routes and places to stay etc.
I have done this on my own and it's not too difficult.

PM me if you have any questions and I would be happy to help any way I can.
Just starting to record my trips  www.tonystravels.com

Offline Galloper

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 09:07:23 am »
CTC Cycling Holidays have 2 LEJOGs this year.   17 May - 4 June and 6 - 24 Sep.

http://www.cyclingholidays.org/tours/index.php

Offline ctbiker

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 02:50:48 pm »
I'm signed up for the Sept LEJOG with CTC.  Being from the U.S., I'm trying to find where best to fly into for easy transport to Penzance/Land's End and fly out of after finishing at JOG/Inverness (triangle/open jaw route?).  I'll be carrying my coupled bike in 2 suitcases -- has anyone done something similar?  Any thoughts/ideas/experiences would be MUCH appreciated.

Ray in Lisbon, CT
rnkf@comcast.net

Offline Galloper

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 09:46:35 am »
I'd suggest flying into London and then train to Penzance.   For the return, cycle along the coast to Thurso (or cycle back down the LEJOG route to Wick), train to Aberdeen and then flight back to London.

If you have time, cycle down the West coast of Scotland (which is absolutely stunning) and fly from Glasgow.

Offline tonythomson

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 11:03:08 am »
Hi the way Galloper has suggested was/maybe the best way however after this winter many of the railway lines have been destroyed and likely to be months before they are running again.  I will try and find out just what is available only September is way off and I doubt if anyone really knows as the moment.

Maybe try contacting CTC if they are organising it as they may decide to run a bus service at the start and the end as neither place is very easy to get to/from.  You may also have to book your train ticket from Thurso.. Go on the CTC forum lots of advice there as to different ways people have done it.  But yes ride down either coast to Glasgow or Edinburgh.
Have fun.

Offline tonythomson

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 11:07:51 am »
You might want to keep a check on train progress here:
http://help.thetrainline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4503

They seem to expect it to reopen by April so maybe all OK for you.If you fly into Gatwick you can catch a train straight off the airport terminal.

Offline ctbiker

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 04:51:51 pm »
Excellent recommendations -- thanks.

Sorry to hear of your winter damage!

Ray

Lisbon, CT, USA