Author Topic: Replacement for Continental Top Touring Tires  (Read 1321 times)

Offline BikingBrian

Replacement for Continental Top Touring Tires
« on: December 15, 2013, 11:38:02 am »
I need to make a last minute addition to my Christmas list: a new set of touring tires for the tandem bike. Unfortunately, it appears the 700c Continental Top Touring 2000 tires are now discontinued. Anyone know the intended replacement in the Continental line?

When the 27" TTs were discontinued, I switched to the Conti GatorHardShell on my old touring bike. Although those are listed as race tires on the Conti website, they've worked out well for touring. The sidewalls seem less prone to cracking with age, compared to the TT.

Offline Tandem Tom

Re: Replacement for Continental Top Touring Tires
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 05:37:50 pm »
We put  Schwalbe Marathon Supremes on our Co-Motion this Summer and toured for the month of July in Denmark. We were on ALL kinds of surfaces and were very pleased.

Offline tsteven4

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 07:15:26 pm »
When the TT 2000s dried up we switched to Continental Contacts.  The 700x37s work well on pavement(90%) and dirt(10%) roads.  They don't have the longevity of the Specialized Expedition tires of the 80's (5000 miles loaded!), we general get ~1700 loaded miles + 500 unloaded out of a pair.  They have now been replaced by Contact II, which we haven't tried yet.  I wouldn't recommend the Conti  Travel Contacts - after two loss of traction crashes.

Offline PeteJack

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 10:30:19 pm »
after two loss of traction crashes
Do tell.

Offline indyfabz

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 01:12:12 pm »
http://www.conti-online.com/www/bicycle_de_en/themes/city/

Got a new set of Contact IIs this spring and noticed that cracks appeared in the surface of the sidewalls rather quickly. Showed them to a truested mechanic who told me that they are notorius for that but that he would have no hesitation touring on my tires with what we were seeing. That was in September and they are still fine after 10 days of touring and many more days of commuting. However, I do agree that the tread seems to wear faster than one would expect. Then again, I am 210 lbs., ride a heavy 60cm LHT and tend to carry mote weight than some others.

Offline Clem

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 06:00:48 pm »
I formerly toured on Conti TT2K in 700x37c. They worked well for me, but I did get the occasional flat. Now that they are gone, even though I have a couple of spares, I have switched to Conti Sport Contact, in 700x37c and Vittoria Randonneur Hyper in 700x38c. Both are at least as fast as the TT2K and both are much more impervious to flats.