Author Topic: GPX file splits when uploading  (Read 944 times)

Offline PetaMc

GPX file splits when uploading
« on: December 28, 2013, 05:25:02 pm »
When I try to upload a GPX from ACA it splits into several files (does this in RideWithGPS) and when I upload into Google Maps, it only loads the first section from the GPX file. if I edit this as an XML file, again the data ends on the first section. Any clues on how to resolve this? Thanks

Offline SlowAndSlower

Re: GPX file splits when uploading
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 01:09:40 pm »
I believe that each ACA GPX file represents a paper map and has a <rte> section for each map panel. I suspect only the first <rte> is being loaded.
Check this http://tsteven4.qwestoffice.net/for the combined map sections.

Offline mdxix

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 08:18:58 pm »
Any clues on how to resolve this?
What is it you are trying to do?

For each ACA Route, there are multiple GPX files, each file contains multiple sections.

Offline PetaMc

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 07:37:15 am »
I am trying to load up each segment into both google maps and RideWithGps so i can split the route into segments which suit me. Currently each file is made up of several parts of around 35-60kms, when i load it to RideWithGPS each i have 10 files for section 1 and cant join them together (or don't know how to do it - I imagine there is a solution).

When I load the routes with services to Google Maps only the first small segment (60km) of the file loads up. So for instance on the TransAm Trail, on section 1 I only get Astoria down the coast loading up, the other 10 mini segments dont load up.

Does that make more sense? Any help gratefully accepted.

Offline SlowAndSlower

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 06:48:15 pm »
Makes complete sense to me. What you want to do is concatenate the map file sections together and then split that concatenated route into your custom segmentation. You can do this manually fairly easily, albeit tedious. Knowing XML and the GPX file structure will also help. Use a text editor such as Notepad++ and use the Language setting XML.
 1. copy the GPX file to a new GPX file.
 2. in the new file remove all waypoints.(<wpt......></wpt> )to ease the process.
 3. remove all </rte><rte><name>...</name><extensions>...</extensions> sequences. the first <rte> and last </rte> remain.
 4. load into your GPX Viewer to see if the result is a single line and is correct.
 5. at the end of each new section, after the section's ending </rtept> tag, insert a </rte><rte><name>new section name</name><extensions>copy data</extensions> sequence.
 6. load into a GPX Viewer and check if it is what you want.
You can merge the waypoints (<wpt ....>...</wpt> back into your new file and you should have what you want.

You can copy and paste across the ACA map files with an text editor like Notepad++ too.

Not knowing your comfort level manually editing files this may not be a viable solution for you.

Offline mdxix

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 09:41:56 pm »
The recommendation above from SlowAndSlower should work with a text editor. That would be the way I do it as well.

Another option is to use Garmin's BaseCamp software:
  • Open the GPX file in BaseCamp
  • You will notice the file contains waypoints and routes. The routes are usually at the bottom of the list
  • Select each route and "Create Track from Route"
  • Once you have the tracks, select all of them and select to "Join Tracks"
  • Export or save the final track
This option gives you the opportunity to edit the route in the software while you are at it.

Note that "Tracks" are different from "Routes" in GPX language, especially with Garmin, as there are limits to each. In general Tracks work more universally and reliably. Routes are more suitable for devices with maps to give navigation prompts.

You can convert between both as you need.

Offline SlowAndSlower

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 04:48:42 pm »
Over time I have developed my own map editor which may be of some interest. The goal was to be able to use the ACA GPX files to custom build routes. For example the Northern Tier, Lake Erie, and North Lakes routes. I personally don't use a gps device for real time navigation so I am not certain how well the GPX files would work in that regard. But to the OP there may be some interest.
http://screencast.com/t/N4i26ssP8pU is a video overview of my map editor.

If anyone should be interested in seeing the editor live it is at http://indianbendsolutions.com/map/map.php?action=app