Author Topic: United Kingdom - Northern most point to Southern most point  (Read 955 times)

Offline engineer1984

United Kingdom - Northern most point to Southern most point
« on: December 29, 2013, 09:54:27 pm »
Hi,

I don't see a lot of attention paid to the possibility of riding from Thurso, Highland to Penzance, Cornwall.  However, riding North to South across the entire UK island has kept my attention for a while.  Would the ride be especially non-scenic?  I picture the highlands being neat, but don't know too much about the geography of UK.

Just curious of people's thoughts.

Cheers,

Andy

Offline engineer1984

Re: United Kingdom - Northern most point to Southern most point
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 10:20:55 pm »
I found this to describe Scotland:

http://www.summitpost.org/scotland/467929

Looks like the Northern part of the island is very interesting.

Offline Pat Lamb

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 12:02:30 pm »
I think most people looking to do such a thing plan on Lands End to John O'Groats.  I suspect you'll find a lot more discussion on LEJOG than Penzance to Thurso.  You can always add or subtract a dozen miles at either end.

Offline Galloper

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 09:03:06 am »
Lots of information/discussion here:  http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewforum.php?f=22

No reason why you shouldn't start from Thurso, in my opinion the west coast is truly beautiful and well worth exploring.   The more usual eastern route is pleasant but nowhere near as spectacular.   Heading down the west coast and then through Ayrshire and Dumfries and Galloway is a cracking ride, avoid Glasgow by using the Hunters Quay or Dunoon Ferry.   Once you cross the border into England you can explore the Lake district which again is stunning.   Gets a bit messy after that but once you get past Liverpool you can head into the Welsh Mountains and have some great riding through Wales before crossing back into England and enjoying the delights of the West Country.

Of course this option is more oriented to leisurely touring rather than the normal LEJOG route but imho it will be far more enjoyable.

Offline engineer1984

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 11:46:11 pm »
According to the link posted above, the mountains are more spectacular on the West side.  Also, I climb.. that's my main thing, the thing that gets me going.  Scotland looks like a great place to mountaineer and England looks like it has decent crags.   : )

mmmm..

One can dream... I even have a job (working remotely) where I may be able to continue working while traveling.  This would be very cool if there is internet from top to bottom.

Offline Galloper

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 09:17:03 am »
Have a look at this:

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/munros/

:)

Don't expect much in the way of internet availability outside the main towns in the Highlands.   In my experience quite a few B&Bs and Youth Hostels have wifi.

Offline engineer1984

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 11:32:46 am »
Yes, these look awesome : )

Thanks for the link!

Offline JohnBerry

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 06:53:15 pm »
The Isle of Skye in the west of Scotland is truly spectacular.

The Western Isles (Outer Hebrides)are less hilly, but very interesting and have challenging weather. You can go from Ardrossan on the Scottish mainland to Arran, then to the Mull of Kintyre, then Islay, or ride up the mainland to Oban, then ferry to Mull and Iona and on to Castlebay on Barra, then up through the chain of the Hebrides to Stornoway, ferry back to Ullapool, and then ride via Cape Wrath to John o'Groats.  You can take a little ferry from John o'Groats to the southern tip of the Orkneys, and ride through them (easy, very interesting Neolithic, WWII sites and a cathedral), then take another ferry to Lerwick in the Shetlands and ride up to the northernmost point of the northernmost island in Britain, Muckle Flygga on Unst.  I did all that on a Brompton (folding bike) in 2009, taking about 2 weeks from Ardrossan to Unst,  and had a whale of a time. You need a good tent that won't blow away in a gale, though, and good rain gear.

If you really want to climb, some of the best rock climbing in Britain is in Wales, especially in Snowdonia, North Wales. There are some good steep roads there for bikes, too.  But the steepest road hills in Britain are in Cornwall and Devon, at the south end.