Author Topic: Legal cycling in Cuba for citizens of the USA?  (Read 500 times)

Offline buho4me@yahoo.com

Legal cycling in Cuba for citizens of the USA?
« on: January 25, 2014, 08:14:20 pm »
Have any citizens of the USA (on this list) cycled legally in Cuba?  I have heard it has gotten a little easier for citizens of the USA to travel to Cuba.

Offline John Nelson

Re: Legal cycling in Cuba for citizens of the USA?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 11:51:24 pm »
A little easier, yes, but still not easy. From what I've heard, it is still quite difficult if you are not part of a specific group and following their itinerary. Visiting Cuba without a license can lead to significant fines, but only if you get caught. I know a couple who routinely bike tours in Cuba. Sometimes they get caught (and pay a fine) and sometimes they don't. The fines escalate each time you get caught.

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 08:56:59 am »
My understanding that it is possible to travel legally to Cuba if one is conducting research.  Since I am an academic and have done research regarding bicycling and health, I am wondering what legally qualifies as bicycle related research in Cuba.  Any leads on people with whom to talk or sites to read would be much appreciated.

Offline John Nelson

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 06:57:12 pm »
To qualify for academic research under a general license, you must be a full-time academic professional. Are you a full-time academic professional? If so, you can qualify under a general license, which requires no paperwork or prior approval. If questioned upon return to the U.S., you must convince the authorities that the primary purpose of your travel was research rather than tourism. Sound convincing! If you qualify, you can get a direct flight between the U.S. and Cuba. One way to test your qualifications is to try to get such a direct flight. If you find that you have to get an indirect flight (e.g., through Mexico or Canada), then that may indicate that you do not qualify. Cuba Travel Services (800-963-2822) can assist you and can get you a direct flight if you qualify.

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 07:19:34 am »
Thanks John. I am a full time academic.  The info you shared will help get me started.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk