Author Topic: STI Triple 9 Speed with canti brakes  (Read 1245 times)

Offline OldDogBC

• Road Warrior
  • No HR Monitor - I'd rather not know...
STI Triple 9 Speed with canti brakes
« on: February 09, 2014, 11:39:15 pm »
Okay. I have read and researched everywhere the web will take me (including this Forum) and I'm hoping somebody can provide some details. I am building up a touring frame and I have gotten a ton of great advice from the previous owner. The only thing I'm stuck on is the shifters. I have brifters on my fast bike and love them so (based on what many have said) I think I'd like to go with what I love. I was hoping to come up with an STI Triple 9 speed. Is there any current feedback on this system? It looks like the Shimano Tiagra would work or a Dura-Ace 7703 set up (hard to find in good shape).

If I move to the 10 speeds there are more choices but its my understanding the 9 speed would be the best choice for touring.

Either way, it looks like one of the higher end canti brake systems will be the way I'll have to go to get the rig stopped but again, I'm open to ideas.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Offline staehpj1

Re: STI Triple 9 Speed with canti brakes
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 07:33:12 am »
Many folks seem to prefer 9 speed for it's supposedly longer chain life and other factors.  I found the Tiagra 9 speed that came with my heavy touring bike to be plenty adequate.  It worked well, is fairly inexpensive, has been long lived, and trouble free.

Personally I think 10 speed is fine too.  I wouldn't hesitate to do a long tour with the 10 speed ultegra on my light bike.

Offline DaveB

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 08:53:05 am »
You have to realize that every time the cog count has gone up by one and the chain got a bit narrower, there were those who assured us the new chains and cogs would wear out ever so much faster.  It happened when standard 5/6-speed chains were narrowed to become 7/8-speed chains followed by the still narrower 9-speed and now 10-speed and 11-speed.  Each time the previous chain width was praised as far more durable so it's interesting to read that 9-speed is fine for touring when a few years ago we were all told it wouldn't last 100 miles and 7/8-speed was the way to go.

Anyway, what happened was each generation of chains was made of better material and better heat treatment was used and they've held up just fine.  Like staehpj1 I've found 10-speed chains plenty durable and have no problems with excess or rapid wear compared to their wider predecessors.

Offline Pat Lamb

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 09:22:41 am »
The 9 speed Tiagra STI is good enough, and works well with cantilevers.

STI, and any indexed system, can be a bit fiddly to set up.  You could reasonably expect a 10 speed setup to be 11% more fiddly than 9 speed.  Note, too, that you typically don't get any greater range with 10 or 11 speeds than we did back in the dark ages with 7 speeds.  You just split the total gearing range into more slices.

One thing that's hard to deny, though, is that chain and cassette prices are significantly higher for 10 than 9 speeds, and there's another jump between 10 and 11.  It's not a major expense compared to the overall cost of a tour; and it may not matter to Pete, who gets freakishly long lives out of his chains; but your credit card will feel the difference when you order three extra chains and a new cassette.

Offline Cyclesafe

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 10:20:44 am »
No worries with any 9 or 10 speed brifters as long as you use short pull brakes.  Your problem will be with the front derailleur.  Tiagra and Ultegra 9-speed FD's are OK and there's an Alpina model that works too.  The FD derailleur problem, until you solve it, has the potential to be a nightmare.  So much so that I'd suggest sticking to bar ends and short pull brakes.
Hoping to do the North Star with ACA in 2014.

Offline OldDogBC

• Road Warrior
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 10:32:45 am »
Thank you guys! The 10 speed would give me more options for shopping around a bit so given your feedback I can expand the search.

If I go with an Ultegra triple shifter in 10 speed, would the newer generation matching Ultegra front DR solve that? I know there are subtle differences across much of the Shimano line but is "compatible" enough???

On the canti brake issue, any experience with the usual suspects, Avid, Tektro? Or if I win the lottery, Paul Components? I am trying to control the budget enough that I can actually get to make the trip but I kind of treasure reliability when I'm out under the stars by myself!

Offline Cyclesafe

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 02:31:05 pm »
IF you stay with the road ring, the new Ultegra will of course work.  But if you go with anything on your big front ring fewer than 50 teeth, you are guaranteed to have terrible shifting.  The 9 sp  FD mentioned above should work with a ten speed chain.
Hoping to do the North Star with ACA in 2014.

Offline briwasson

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 03:07:25 pm »
I have STI lever 9-speed setups on three bikes that I use for touring. All have Ultegra STI levers. Two (my tandem and triplet) have Ultegra triple FDs, one (my single) has a Dura-Ace triple FD. All have older XTR RDs. The Ultegra FDs work fine with my 48-38-24 chainrings, and the Dura-Ace does well on the 50-36-24 on my single bike.

For road FDs (which you basically have to use if you are using STI levers), I wouldn't go much below a 46t large chainring, otherwise you'll run into some issues. Alpina makes a FD that works with STI levers and more compact chainrings, but they aren't as commonly available. I have one in my parts box somewhere, but never installed it as the regular FDs were working fine.

For 9 speed STI levers, the Tiagras are just fine (had them on my previous C'dale touring bike) and have more trim options for the FD. The Ultegras work well, too, and any 9-speed Ultegra lever will work for both a double and triple setup. If you want to go Dura-Ace, you'll have to get the 7703 triple-specific model (as you know). For a while I was determined to find a Dura-Ace 7703 set of levers for my single bike, but gave up due to price and availability. The Ultegras I have on it now work just fine, but don't  have as much snob appeal.  8)

Offline OldDogBC

• Road Warrior
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 04:04:13 pm »
Thank you briwasson! I am planning on using the 48-38-24 combo on an FSA crank so it sounds like I have some options. What model Ultegra shifters are you using? The Tiagra may be the easiest fit given that there is a current model available. And if a set of Dura-Ace 7703s fall into my lap that will help me if I run into a judgmental cyclist out there!

Thanks again. :)

Offline RussSeaton

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 03:50:35 am »
My touring bike has Shimano 105 5703 STI levers.  And 10 speed SRAM cassette.  Shimano Tiagra triple front derailleur.  Shimano Deore mountain bike rear derailleur.  Crankset has 44-33-20 chainrings.  With an 11-32 cassette it has plenty of high and low gears.  Chain is 10 speed Shimano or SRAM, can't remember which.  Bike shifts perfectly.  Brakes are Avid Shorty 6 cantilever.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 05:06:18 pm by RussSeaton »

Offline OldDogBC

• Road Warrior
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2014, 10:39:20 am »
Thank you Russ. I really appreciate the input and the details will help me a lot. At least all of you have opened up the options significantly. That will help on the search for the right set up.

Thanks Again!