Author Topic: Pacific Coast Route Northbound  (Read 728 times)

Offline rolpin

Pacific Coast Route Northbound
« on: February 13, 2014, 12:30:04 am »
I'm considering a ride northbound on the Pacific Coast Route from San Francisco to the Canadian border.  Am obviously concerned about wind and wonder if anyone has information on when or if there's a good time to make the trip and not have to worry about the strong prevailing north winds.  It seems like there may be a window (maybe even some southern winds) in April and May. 
Anyone have experience traveling this time of year and any advice or comment on the route and camping/lodging options?
Thanks.......

Offline jamawani

Re: Pacific Coast Route Northbound
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 03:30:36 am »
Northwest winds accompany high pressure and dry weather.
Southerly winds accompany storm systems and rain.

Online staehpj1

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 06:28:42 am »
It helps to get your mileage in early in the day before the winds kick up.

Offline indyfabz

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 03:48:56 pm »
ODOT has a nice publication for the Oregon section. It discusses weather, transportation options and even lists camping locations along with their amenities:

http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/HWY/BIKEPED/docs/oregon_coast_bike_route_map.pdf

Offline Cyclesafe

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 06:07:04 pm »
Of course, you'll need to expect rain and headwinds in April and May, regardless of past patterns.  I'd do it only if there were no other alternative.   
Hoping to do the North Star with ACA in 2014.

Offline RussSeaton

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 02:51:42 pm »
Northwest winds accompany high pressure and dry weather.
Southerly winds accompany storm systems and rain.

Hmmmmm.  If what you state has any truth at all, it means weather patterns are dependent on where in the world you live.  NW and NE winds in my part of the world mean storms.  South winds mean dry and hot.  I suspect I could go back in time 100 years and never find a storm or rain coming out of the south.  Look at all the snow storms hitting the SE and NE parts of the country over the past couple months.  They have all come out of the NW.  None came out of the south.

Offline jamawani

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 03:51:46 pm »
Mr. Seaton -

I was referring to the Pacific Coast of the United States.
That was what the OP asked.
Nowhere did I suggest that this was a worldwide phenomena.
But, it does seem that you do not understand climate patterns of this region.

Offline John Nelson

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 05:18:52 pm »
weather patterns are dependent on where in the world you live
Correct. Well, I guess it doesn't really depend on where you live since the weather patterns in San Francisco are the same whether you or I live in Cleveland or Miami. But weather patterns do depend on where you are looking.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 05:20:38 pm by John Nelson »

Offline Patco

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 06:55:25 pm »
I have one comment regarding traveling north - while in California it does not too much matter, but in Oregon the shoulder on 101 when traveling north tends to be narrower than if traveling south. Also, the prevailing winds from May through October are from the northwest. The Oregon DOT suggests traveling north to south. The Oregon Coast Bike Route map from the Oregon DOT indicates that improvements are concentrated on the southbound shoulder.

Offline PeteJack

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 11:21:42 pm »
Besides the likelyhood of headwinds while riding north there's another drawback a friend of mine mentioned to me: you are on the wrong side of the road for all the views.