Author Topic: Biking Spain - Valencia to Barcelona  (Read 713 times)

Offline stroemel

Biking Spain - Valencia to Barcelona
« on: February 26, 2014, 10:42:03 am »
HI,
A friend and I are wanting to road bike from Valencia to Barcelona this September and wondering if that is possible based on road conditions/traffic/etc.  If so are there good maps of the area or other resources/websites?

Thanks
Sarah

Offline RussSeaton

Re: Biking Spain - Valencia to Barcelona
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 10:55:02 am »
Not a lot of help, but...  I rode a few days in the SW corner of Spain about 13 years ago.  November.  The part of Spain that touches Portugal and the Mediterranean Sea.  Weather was pleasant.  Roads were great.  Traffic was minimal.  Plenty of good untraveled roads going everywhere.  Towns were a reasonable distance apart.  I stayed in motels and ate at restaurants and convenience stores.  Easy to find and low cost.

You're talking about Barcelona and the NE corner of Spain.  Might be different up there.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 12:10:57 pm by RussSeaton »

Offline raybo

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 11:43:53 am »
This page has 37 links to information about bike touring in Spain.

None of them deal directly with Valencia to Barcelona.  But, some of them will be of general interest to you.

Have a great time.
Visit the on-line bike touring archive at www.biketouringtips.com

Offline indyfabz

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 02:30:01 pm »
Michelin generally makes good road maps of Europe. I used their one for Andalucia to plan a seven week tour. I think regional Spain maps No. 577 and No. 574 will be have what you need. If you want to quietest roads, my advice from my experience is to pick the smallet roads between points, which are usually shown in white. The yellow and red roads are usually busier, and often coastal roads are busy depite there being parallel autovias.

Valencia to Barcelona is about 350 km straight up the autovia, so you are probably talking at least three days of riding. More if you take a circuitous route to avoid high traffic areas.

Offline alsan32

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 09:17:33 pm »
Hello,

September is good for riding there,  trust me I´m a spanish living in Canada :)

The Mediterranean Sea is beautiful and Barcelona and Valencia are both famous cities. I can say that Barcelona is expensive compared with other cities, because is very turistic.

Just let you know that in Spain you can find the "camino de Santiago", different trails from different cities and the camino worth it.

You can see some info here:

http://www.bicigrino.com/en/

http://www.caminosantiago.com/index.php/en/