Author Topic: Southern Tier, highway 78 Glamis to Palo Verde, Ca  (Read 557 times)

Offline aesopafd@hotmail.com

Southern Tier, highway 78 Glamis to Palo Verde, Ca
« on: February 26, 2014, 11:56:25 pm »
My wife and I rode a tandem with trailer.  We rode this section January 22, Wednesday  about 9am to 2pm.  The traffic on this road consisted mostly of tractor-trailers and large RVs, many with trailers that often came in groups.  The first several miles from Glamis has a great 4 foot shoulder that reduced to 1 foot or less with rolling hills, some steep with diminished vehicle visibility at the hill tops.  There were a few times where this high speed traffic met beside us with no place for us to go. 
Is there an alternate route that could avoid this section of highway?

Offline Catherine

Re: Southern Tier, highway 78 Glamis to Palo Verde, Ca
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 05:42:31 pm »
I'm about a week from this area, have you heard back from anyone?

thanks,

catherine

Offline staehpj1

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 08:01:54 pm »
I just rode Rt-78 for that section when I did the ST but someone suggested an alternate route at the time.  Sorry but I don't recall what it was.  It looks like Blythe Olgilby road parallels rt 78, but I don't think it is paved and do not know how ride-able it is.

I didn't really mind Rt 78, but I have a pretty high tolerance for traffic.

I just remembered that it was Nancy Mercury who suggested the alternate route (if my memory is correct).  She was offering to host cyclists near there (for a fee I think).  I didn't stay there but did speak to her on the phone.  If she is still listed on the AC maps or with warmshowers.org you might look her up and ask her.

Offline Catherine

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 12:23:50 am »
Thank you!

Offline johnsondasw

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 02:19:01 pm »
I've been on such roads so many times.  I'd suggest getting a mirror if you're not already using one.  On tours there are almost always sections like this., and they are sometimes unavoidable  Without a mirror, I feel so at the mercy of random strangers who are sometimes texting, drunk, eating....you get the idea.  I don't want to be at the absolute mercy of these folks.  I have left the road to avoid cars/trucks coming way to close.
May the wind be at your back!

Offline Catherine

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 06:02:07 pm »
Thaks, good suggestion.  I have one partially mounted.  Time to finish the job, it's waitig patiently I a pannier.

Offline MaryK

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 10:31:14 pm »
i rode this section heading eastbound on Oct 16, 2014. Yes, there are lots of trucks and a mirror is especially helpful. On the weekends, there is even more traffic as it's a popular area for people who like to ride their 4-wheelers off road in the dunes.

We stayed with Nancy Mercury, a welcome respite as there's not much in that area. Even if you don't stay with her, she's a great source of information. Because of the number of riders she hosts, she asks for a donation of $25 per person or $40 for couple. Nancy is listed on the ACA map, but the phone number is out of date. The correct number is 760-854-1117. This number is also listed in the addenum. She is not listed i warmshowers.

Offline staehpj1

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 12:14:43 am »
We stayed at the Oxbow BL campsite 3 miles south of palo Verde.  It was $15 per vehicle.   We were not sure what bikes were supposed to pay and I forget what/if we decided to pay.  The site was okay as I recall.