Author Topic: East Coast to West Coast Trip  (Read 501 times)

Offline drousar

East Coast to West Coast Trip
« on: March 26, 2014, 11:16:52 am »
Hello!  I am looking for some guidance on a route that will take me from the East Coast to the West Coast completing the trip at the Golden Gate Bridge.  I have been using Google Maps to get an idea on route, but feel there must be a better tool for a touring cyclist.  Hopefully one that I can map out daily goals and plot where I would camp as opposed to finding a motel, etc.. 

Any and all guidance appreciated.

I am a new cyclist and will be training a 15 Months to prep for this trip and hope to accomplish the journey in 30 days.   The trip will be from mid June to mid July.

Thank you for your help!  I look forward to the responses.

-Doug

Offline John Nettles

Re: East Coast to West Coast Trip
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 11:27:58 am »
I am not trying to sound rude, but you have checked out the ACA maps, correct?  If so, I am confused as to what you are asking.

In either case, based on your pretty ambitious goal of a 30-day crossing and ending at the Golden Gate, you will almost need to do something very similar to the TransAm route to Pueblo where you connect to the Western Express.

Best wishes!
Happy trails and may the wind be at your back!
John

Offline drousar

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 11:44:57 am »
Thanks!  I didn't take your response as rude. No worries!  Maybe I'm just a little overwhelmed by all the different map options.  I did view the site but it seemed all the routes were segmented and shorter distances (I couldn't find one that appeared to map coast-to-coast as one cohesive trip.  I was hoping an application existed to be able to build a route and drill in to key items like daily goals and motel/hotel/camping solutions, etc... 

If I need to buy a bunch of paper maps to make that happen, cool, but was just throwing this post out there to see what resources exist.

I did buy  the GARMIN EDGE 810 GPS BUNDLE and have yet to mess with it. For all I know it may do what I need it to.

Thanks for your time.

Offline John Nettles

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 12:03:22 pm »
Got it.  Since everyone's goals are different, in 35 years of touring, I have not heard of a program that exists.  Basically, you will need to buy the individual map segments you need, review them, make a rough draft of your itinerary to see where you can be each day based on your individual needs.  There are way to many variable to do a realistic program.  For instance, you may need a motel and/or restaurant at the end of your daily goal but only a campground exists.  Therefore, you will need to decide what is best for you, cutting the daily distance or going longer.  If it is very hilly, you may choose shorter.  If flat and you have a tailwind, go longer.  But you need to visit Aunt Sally who lives 20 miles off route also.  This is why a program doesn't work.

Realize, no plan will survive a few days it seems so just be familiar with what you can do and what you want to do.

Again, best wishes!
Happy trails and may the wind be at your back!
John

Online John Nelson

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 05:14:36 pm »
I couldn't find one that appeared to map coast-to-coast as one cohesive trip.
The ACA has three coast-to-coast routes: the TransAm, the Northern Tier and the Southern Tier. Each of these routes has some variations. An extremely popular route is to start on the TransAm in Yorktown, Virginia and switch to the Western Express in Pueblo, Colorado, finishing in San Franscisco. This TransAm variation is so popular that the ACA has even packaged up the set of maps you need for it.

http://www.adventurecycling.org/cyclosource-store/route-maps/sp/adventure-cycling-association-western-express-trans-am-map-set/

You'll have no problem camping the whole way.

Offline drousar

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 07:17:30 am »
Thank you!

Offline drousar

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 03:18:45 pm »
I found an app that seems to do what I am looking for.  MapMyRide GPS Cycling Riding.

Offline staehpj1

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 03:56:14 pm »
I found an app that seems to do what I am looking for.  MapMyRide GPS Cycling Riding.
Mapmyride is great for short trips, for a coast to coast ride I strongly recommend that you buy the Adventure Cycling maps for a suitable route (TA to WE maybe?).  The extra info on the maps will likely save you way more than the cost of the maps.  All of the services you need are listed on the maps as well as a lot of free places to stay.  Here is a link to the relevant AC routes mapped out on mapmyride:
http://www.mapmyride.com/us/sausalito-ca/transam-to-western-express-route-13681838
I'd still recommend buying and using the actual AC maps though since there is a ton of useful info on them..

Not sure how long your route will be, but 30 days is pretty ambitious.  It is unlikely that your route won't be well over 3000 miles.  The route above is over 3400 miles.   That would mean 115 miles per day average.  Not many people average much over 80 miles per day especially when you figure that some rest days or at least short mile days are typical.  60 miles per day is pretty typical.  The folks I met on the trans america who were planning to average 100 mile days wound up averaging more like 80.

30 days is possible but it would require riding long hard days everyday and would not allow much "smelling the roses".  I recommend planning a pace where you can take easy days here and there and taking more time off the bike to see the sights.  I have gone coast to coast averaging 60 mile days on the TA and another time averaging 80 miles on the flatter ST.  The 80 mile days trip was fun but a real grind, I don't think I'd want to average longer days than that.  It required quite a few days that were over 100 miles sometimes back to back.

Bottom line, 115 mile days is possible but will be pretty strenuous, not allow much time off of the bike, not allow many (any?) rest days or short mileage days.

Offline drousar

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 04:00:09 pm »
Thank you so much for all the info!  I appreciate it!