Author Topic: Bakersfield California to Darby Montana  (Read 1235 times)

Online JMilyko

Re: Bakersfield California to Darby Montana
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2014, 01:38:33 pm »
As I think I noted in my trip report, United Airlines is to blame for my late arrival. I did stop in on 6/28 around noon. Only two people in the office. Already making good use of my Bikelingual bandana.

Hmmm, wonder where we all were?? =) Glad the bandana is working out for you.

.Jenn.
*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

Jennifer H. Milyko
Adventure Cycling Association
Inspiring and empowering people to travel by bicycle.
800/755-2453, 406/721-1776 x205
www.adventurecycling.org

Follow Routes & Mapping on Twitter: @acaroutes

Offline indyfabz

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2014, 03:33:55 pm »
Early quit no doubt. :)

BTW...Tim Carey, the Travelling Bike Nurse, who you may know (I know some of your staff does) is an aquainance of mine. Early this month he rode up north into Canada. Not sure if he's still north of the border or headed back here.

Online JMilyko

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2014, 09:55:25 am »
Early quit no doubt. :)

Nah, musta been a bike ride! ;)

BTW...Tim Carey, the Travelling Bike Nurse, who you may know (I know some of your staff does) is an aquainance of mine. Early this month he rode up north into Canada. Not sure if he's still north of the border or headed back here.

I don't know of Tim but I probably should. Sounds like an interesting combo, nursing and bicycle travel.

.Jenn.
*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

Jennifer H. Milyko
Adventure Cycling Association
Inspiring and empowering people to travel by bicycle.
800/755-2453, 406/721-1776 x205
www.adventurecycling.org

Follow Routes & Mapping on Twitter: @acaroutes

Offline chrissiedakini

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2014, 10:36:29 am »
Hi all
wanted to give an update on the route. We made it to Darby in 26 days, which is 2 days earlier than our deadline. So that was cool! Thanks again for all your input. Here are some thoughts.
We absolutely loved some of the route and thought some of it quite unforgiving and scary. So the bad first.
Alt 95 comes to mind - cross winds at up to 15mph did not help and the amount of trucks that raced by leaving no space was also somewhat crazy. we ended up hunkering down for the rest of the day and continued at night when the wind died and there was hardly any traffic. We styed outside of Fernley alongside the highway.
the 20 was also not so great, super super narrow, the rumble strip took up most of that space, which meant we had a foot to work with for a long stretch of road, traffic was high, tons of rv's and trucks, who did not give us any space.

Yosemite was a total zoo but we got lucky as there were roadworks, so they tended to come in droves, and then we had nobody for up to ten minutes. And, it was Yosemite, it was absolutely gorgeous. And... racing down into Lee Vining... was so worth every single push.

Loved the routes otherwise, loved the scenery, the stillness, the lack of traffic, the hills were hard, but forgiving, we slept alongside the roads, in small town public parks, on moss in the selway and it was just fun! Loved cycling through the Selway - much emptier and even though the road was narrow there was hardly any traffic. We did have headwinds for about 75% of the trip, though one glorious day where we had tailwind the entire day, which helped push us up a couple of summits!!

We are working at the moment for a couple of weeks and will be heading out in about 10 days or so towards Glacier National Park from Darby, and will be crossing the border into canada towards Grasslands and Turtle Mountain before dropping down into Minnesota. The exact routes have not yet been decided, as we are working on mapping it out currently. So will be posting another topic soon :-)

Here is our update: http://vagabonditinerary.wordpress.com/2014/08/07/1200-miles-and-26-days-of-perspective/

Thanks!!!