Author Topic: Great Divide Rooseville, MT to Helena, MT  (Read 400 times)

Offline rdchristensen

Great Divide Rooseville, MT to Helena, MT
« on: August 28, 2014, 02:15:25 am »
Can anyone tell me how much of the GDR from Rooseville, MT to Helena, MT is on paved road? The thumbnail provided makes it look like it follows highway along Flathead lake, down the Sealy Swan to the junction with MT 200, then on to Helena.

Offline CMajernik

Re: Great Divide Rooseville, MT to Helena, MT
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 09:53:46 am »
I would estimate about 5-10% is on pavement between Roosville and Helena.
Carla Majernik
Routes and Mapping Program Director

Adventure Cycling Association
Inspiring people of all ages to travel by bicycle.
800/755-2453, 406/721-1776 x218, 406/721-8754 fax
www.adventurecycling.org

Follow Routes & Mapping on Twitter: @acaroutes

Offline John Nettles

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 10:29:43 am »
Does your question concern the Flathead Lake area itself?  The GD does not follow the highway (nor Flathead Lake) but is up in the mountains on forest roads that parallel to MT-83. You can ride MT-83 (part of the Great Parks route) but the GD is on MT-83 maybe 2 to 3 miles total on MT-83.  There are other sections of pavement you mentioned that total up to 10% of the overall mileage between Roosville and Helena.  Also, the GD has only a few miles on MT-200 as the route stays on county & forest roads that are close to MT-200.
Happy trails and may the wind be at your back!
John

Offline rdchristensen

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 10:35:09 am »
Thanks, it's been years since I've ridden along there, and then only on 83 and 200. Wasn't aware that there were unpaved roads paralleling those routes, so was uncertain about the ACA thumbnail maps.
Royce

Offline Iowagriz

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 02:35:33 pm »
From my recent trip from Roosville to Ovando.

30miles of pave from Roosville, through Eureka and up the pass
54miles of pave from head of Whitefish Lake to just south of Bigfork (headed up Swan Mtn).  A few miles of gravel within this number, but not much.
Another mile or so of Hwy near Holland Lake Lodge

The rest of it was dirt.

I also believe you have a few miles of pave in Ovando, in Lincoln and then as you exit just west of Helena, you will have maybe 10 miles of pave to get into Helena.

Tom

Offline mathieu

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 06:44:51 pm »
Adventure Cycling clearly has an unrealistic view of the percentage paved, both for the whole GD route and for this particular section from Roosville to Helena.
In this section roughly 25%, about 90 miles in a total of 370 miles, is paved. The detailing by Iowagriz is also what I remember.
For the total route it is more likely between 10-20%.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 06:47:16 pm by mathieu »

Offline CMajernik

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 06:50:52 pm »
Mathieu:
I have to admit - I was guessing at the percentage and did not take the time to figure it out. Thanks for correcting me.
Carla Majernik
Routes and Mapping Program Director

Adventure Cycling Association
Inspiring people of all ages to travel by bicycle.
800/755-2453, 406/721-1776 x218, 406/721-8754 fax
www.adventurecycling.org

Follow Routes & Mapping on Twitter: @acaroutes

Offline mathieu

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2014, 09:01:10 am »
Carla, it's an indulgence to go back to the maps and refresh fond memories of those towns and trails of the Great Divide route.
I went through all maps and added all paved sections on the main route longer than 5 miles. I came to a surprising total of 673 miles, i.e close to 25% of the total route!
That old estimate of 5-10% on pavement (also in Wikipedia) is wide off the mark.