Author Topic: Food budgeting help  (Read 119 times)

Offline cholloway99

Food budgeting help
« on: September 01, 2014, 02:53:03 pm »
I am looking at making my first self-supported bike tour next fall on the Pacific Northwest.  I plan on it taking 4 weeks and inviting two or three others to ride with me for parts or all of the tour, and was wondering if anybody could give me any advice on budgeting for food.  I would like to be able to prepare most of our food, but maybe allow for eating in a restaurant once or twice a week, maybe no more than $15 on eating out?  Any advice would be helpful!

Offline indyfabz

Re: Food budgeting help
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 08:22:42 am »
Buy inexpensive food basics, like rice, beans, pasta and oatmeal, and add to that. $15 for one meal out should be doable depending on your tastes and where you happen to find yourself. You are not going to get a good steak for $15, but that should buy you a decent burger, fries and a good beer.

I am leaving for a tour on Friday. I always promise myself that my next tour will be the one where I write down all my expenses, including food expenses. If the past is any guide, I will grow tired of doing that by the second day at the latest.