Bicycle Travel > General Discussion

Recumbent Bike Touring

(1/2) > >>

geary:
I would like to chat with recumbent bike riders who have toured cross country on their bike. I have toured half way accross the US on a full suspension mountain bike. Now for the last half I'm tring to decide if I want a rode bike or a recumbent.

Thank You
Geary
gr1941@yahoo.com

rootchopper:
I recommend you check out www.Crazyguyonabike.com.  they have several recumbent tour journals, my own included.  I think the link is http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/journal/?pics=small&category_id=21

You can contact the authors via their Guestbooks

My vote is for recumbent touring, unless you are riding on really rough, unpaved terrain.

JP

MrBent:
I really became I cycle tourist because of recumbents, and I wouldn't do a paved road tour with anything else.  The challenge is to find a style of recumbent that works well for you.  Most people tend to think that a long wheel base design is the most stable and best suited to touring though many have used short wheel base designs, too.  I currently ride a Tour Easy by Easy Racers, a bike long considered a bench mark for touring.  With panniers that fit under the seat, handling is superb, almost as if the bike is not weighed down at all.  I love it.  Do your best to find a shop where you can try as many as possible.
Cheers,

Scott

geary:
Scott
Thank you for your imput on the tour easy. I have ridden this bike several time and always wonder about the tightness in the steering. One major concern in going up hill will I get the wobblies and wonder in  the middle of the road. What are you thoughts? Also I have a BOB for touring and do not need to carry anything other than water bottles etc.

Thanks
geary

This message was edited by geary on 2-20-04 @ 11:53 AM

bentrider:
I ride recumbents (I have 2) though the longest tour I've ever done is only 1200km at any one time. I average over 4000km a year on just short trips.I do have hopes of doing a across Canada tour in the next 5 years.

My bikes are both SWB bents and though sturdy little beasts I don't think they have it in them to do a across country tour. I may get me a Tour Easy-Expedition for that type of trip. Breaking up a x-country tour into smaller sections enables one to spend more time in sight seeing and enjoy local hospitality.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version