Bicycle Travel > General Discussion

Summer Plans

(1/3) > >>

wanderingwheel:
It's pretty quiet around here so I must assume that everyone is off making their summer plans, or maybe even riding already.  So lets hear them.  Where are you riding this summer?  How far, how many days, with who?

I will be riding Route 66 through California, Arizona, and into New Mexico, and then up the Rockies to Colorado Springs.  I only have about 2 weeks so its going to be a stupid fast trip but I need to get to Colorado Springs.  It will be in June, so I will be getting some more lights for the night desert riding.

Who else is riding this summer?
Sean

jimmcw:
June 19 Begin Astoria to Bar Harbor. Two old guys (60+)  
and a youngster (she's only 58). Lewis and Clark Route to
Williston then Eastward Ho!

brad:
next week i start my trip from the bodensee (lake constance) through the black forest to colmar france and up the french side of the rhine and then back over the my house in heidelberg germany. should be fun.

dombrosk:
Nice topic!  It's fun to share our daydreams.  

This will be my first summer getting into self-contained touring.  In June I'm taking the Adventure Cycling Intro to Road Touring workshop in Wisconsin.  My solo shakedown ride will be about 200 miles of the Northern Tier heading south (east) from St. Paul, MN to the Effigy Mounds in Iowa.  In July I'll be riding the MS-TRAM again (great annual event in Minnesota) and am contemplating ignoring the luggage trucks and  riding self-contained as part of my training.

All this is preparation for my bigger daydreams of riding Astoria to St. Paul in 2005, and St. Paul to Bar Harbor in 2006.

As a young guy of 51 it's great to hear about some other mature individuals like jimmcw planning long rides.

Don:

My wife and I are going to Romania this summer for 4 weeks riding around Transylvania.  Last summer we went to Hungary for 3 weeks, and year before that to Czech Republic.  We rode the Prauge-Vienna greenway and it was great trip, I would recomend it to anyone considering riding in eastern (central) Europe.  We're leaving the end of April and of course we been planning for months and wish we could leave right now.
By the way Dombrosk we are older as well I'm 58.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version