Author Topic: prevailing winds  (Read 3370 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline epowersz

prevailing winds
« on: June 05, 2004, 05:45:40 pm »
Hi!
   I am planning on riding the east coast of the U.S. during mid August through mid September.  I would prefer to begin in Maine and end in Florida, but I have heard that due to prevailing winds this time of year, that I should instead go from Florida to Maine.  Any comments would be very much appreciated.  Thanks!

Offline ATSFfan

prevailing winds
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2004, 09:00:53 pm »
I spent some time searching for prevailing wind maps and came up with this website that has maps arranged by month. I used them to decide whether to do the Southern Tier east to west or west to east. I just finished the ride two weeks ago and although the maps were accurate 90%, the other 10% the winds were very much affected by local weather. A front moving through or rain/thunderstorms can turn winds 180 degrees from their "normal" direction. However, these will certainly help you make your decision:
http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/climmaps/

Best of luck on your tour
Richard Pace