Author Topic: Europe with Bike Boxes  (Read 2877 times)

Offline robmay

Europe with Bike Boxes
« on: February 09, 2005, 12:15:09 pm »
Four of us travelling to europe for the month of sept. What's the situation with bike boxes in either Geneva Switzerland or Paris? Where can we leave them? Any sugg's?

Offline LDiskin

Europe with Bike Boxes
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2005, 03:32:35 pm »
If you are using reusable hard cases for transporting your bikes,  I would start by contacting the motel or inn you plan to stay at when you arrive and ask if they can store your boxes for you. Many places can do that. You might even consider basing your decision on where to stay on whether they can accomodate that.

Another option is to use cardboard boxes, discard them when you arrive, and find new ones for your return trip.

Those are two of the most common strategies.  

--
Larry Diskin
Adventure Cycling Association
--
Larry Diskin

Offline robmay

Europe with Bike Boxes
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2005, 04:09:19 pm »
Good idea...however, we will be renting a house and would like to get rid of the 4 hard cases in one of these cities. Ant additional ideas?

Offline LDiskin

Europe with Bike Boxes
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2005, 08:36:52 pm »
The next step I would take is to use our online Cyclists' Yellow Pages to look up organizations or clubs in Paris or Geneva that might be able to steer you in the direction of a solution. I had a look at the listings for France and although I don't see an obvious organization to ask, I bet if you contacted a few with your question someboday would have an idea for you. Below is the direct link to the listings for France. You can look up listings for Switzerland by going to the main Cyclists' Yellow Pages page at www.adventurecycling.org/cyp and using the search process.

http://www.adventurecycling.org/cyp/list.cfm?s=France&f=lCountry

Tip in case you don't speak French: some of the websites listed are in French only. If you look up that website through a google search, google provide a "translate this page" option that often works quite well.

Let me know if you have any luck.

--
Larry Diskin
--
Larry Diskin

Offline skibc

Europe with Bike Boxes
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2005, 05:33:26 pm »
A few suggestions here---

If you fly into one place and plan on flying out of the same place you
be ok.  Once in Europe airlines only take on 20 Kilos!  This is a huge
hassle and it is expensive.  What we always do is to fly in stay at a nice
some what spendy hotel.  Then ask to leave our boxes/bags and make
a reservation for when you think you will be back.  This seems to keep
everyone happy and your stuff will be there in the end.

Happy pedaling!

Nancy

Offline rtw

Europe with Bike Boxes
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2005, 12:27:06 am »
I do not use any box for my bike.  I ride to the airport, dismount, roll my bike up to the ticket counter and check it in.  Most times it is no problem.  All airlines except Southwest will take your bike this way. I do not remove my panniers, as they provide protection.  I do normally remove the pedals and put them in a pannier. I also remove the pump, water bottles and handle bar bag. Some airlines will give a large plastic bag to protect the other luggage.

The bike is handled with more care and is hand delivered at the destination.  I know it sounds like it could be damaging to the bike, but watch the bike boxes as they come off the luggage systems and see how many are damaged.

This also has the added advantage of no disassemble or reassemble.  

I have toured in 35 countries and flown many,many, many times, this system works very well.  As with anything when traveling, give yourself plenty of time, smile and be pleasant.  Most ticket agents have not had a bike travel this way so it takes a little convincing.

If you must box your bike the airlines will provide a box.  You must notify them in advance and sometimes there is a charge.  These boxes are avalible at almost all, world wide airports.  Check with your carrier when you make your reservations and when you reconfirm on return.

Have a great trip.  There is no travel like bicycle touring.