Author Topic: Eating  (Read 2389 times)

Offline Badger

Eating
« on: November 27, 2005, 09:21:34 pm »
When on tour what are some of your favorite recipes for on the trail?  I looked in the archives and wasn't able to find what cyclist are eating.

Offline wanderingwheel

Eating
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 07:14:01 pm »
Sorry, I don't use any specific recipes.  

Breakfast is usually something cold that I don't have to use dishes for, such as pastries or pop-tarts.  The idea is to eat while packing up camp so that I can spend more time on the road.

Lunch is whatever I cobble together at my lunch stop.  Bagels, cold cuts, fruit, and ice cream are common lunch staples.  

Dinner is whatever looks good at the grocery store, all thrown in the pot or on the grill.  If I can get dinner at a cafe or diner for $5-7, I may do that because it will be about the same price as the groceries I would buy for a filling dinner, and I don't have to wash the dishes afterwards.

Sean

Offline Dan_E_Boye

Eating
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2005, 09:44:04 pm »
I don't use recipes either.  I mostly make some kind of goo with whatever I have with me.  I like everything in one pot.  I like to cook in the morning because I like to fuel up early.  I kind of reverse the normal meal pattern of Americans.  I like my big meal in the morning and my cereal along the way for snacking.  I mix the fruit in throughout the day.  I like a lite dinner because I don't like to eat a lot before sleeping.  I'm not usually in a big hurry to start in the morning.  I like to stay in bed until I'm ready to get up.  I'm usually quicker to get in bed than get out of bed so cooking in the morning fits my style.

I eat a lot of pasta, veggies, grains, and fruit.  I'm a vegetarian so I use TVP to help with protien.  My spice is usually tobasco or red peppers, salt, and I found some fried garlic at the Asian food store that I really like.  It's very light and it does not need to be kept cold.    

Offline judyrans

Eating
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005, 02:14:51 am »
Badger wrote:
"When on tour what are some of your favorite recipes for on the trail?  I looked in the archives and wasn't able to find what cyclist are eating."

We came from a backpacking background so we started out fixing breakfast, but we've never been energetic enough to carry a griddle or heavy frying pan. At best we boiled up a lot of water for coffee, tea, instant cocoa, and instant oatmeal. (Note: The flavored oatmeal tastes good but contains lots of sugar. Use regular, some raisins, and wee bit of brown sugar.)

Then, we discovered that you can get a lot of food for breakfast at a restaurant. It's generally the cheapest meal of the day. Usually you can get a huge bowl of oatmeal, cheap.

So, we generally eat a cold, little preparation, breakfast in camp. This can include fruit, and some grains (bread or donuts, your choice). Then after pedalling around 20 miles (depends on towns available), we stop for "second breakfast" at a restaurant. Usually, we'll get some eggs, hash browns, and toast. Having meat adds heavily to the cost.

For a low budget lunch there's always peanut butter and jelly, or jelly and peanut butter. You don't have to worry about them spoiling in 100 degree heat. (I hope you aren't allergic to peanuts. Yikes! See Teenager with peanut allergy dies after a kiss.

In our early years we ate a lot of Dinty Moore Stew for dinner, but now we tend to toss some kind of beans, some canned tomatoes, rice and maybe some other vegetable into a pot. Fresh fruit and raw vegetables are nice. Generally you don't want to have to cook raw food, as it takes a lot of fuel.

For snacks we tend to go healthier as we age. Again fruits and cut up veggies are good, but I must also admit to eating more than one M&M. I've chopped up jerky into small pieces. I love the salt when I'm sweating buckets.

We usually carry some kind of energy bar, but mostly as emergency food like when we are delayed fighting a headwind.

It's also good to eat something just after arriving in camp. Nutritionists say your body sucks up the carbos best within a half hour after you stop exercising.

Wash your waterbottles frequently, daily if you consume sugary energy drinks. A bottle brush may be necessary to do a good job. Avoid sugar in the Camelback type packs. They are a nuisance to clean.

Remember to try some local foods! They can be inexpensive and tasty!

Judy

This message was edited by judyrans on 11-30-05 @ 12:17 AM