Author Topic: Shogun Touring, light or loaded?  (Read 3346 times)

Offline MikeLIeber

Shogun Touring, light or loaded?
« on: January 02, 2006, 01:09:19 pm »
I have a 1986 Shogun Touring bike, and I don't know if it's for light or loaded touring.  When I loaded it, I got a shimmy in the front, but that could be the rack.  Anyone know?

Offline scott.laughlin

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 08:50:05 pm »
How much weight were you carrying?  You think you might have loaded it too heavy in the rear?  At what speed did the problem occur?

I personally don't think you need to carry all the stuff some people claim are necessary.  A little suffering builds character.

The old motorcycle rule was to put everything you needed in a pile.  Sort to the bare necessities, then take only half of that.

If you do that you don't need a monster bike.

Scott

Offline wanderingwheel

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 12:27:22 am »
Every bike will shimmy, it's just a question of at what speed.  Shimmy is the unfortunate combination of many factors to create a harmonic vibration in the bike.  

There are a number of things that you can do to reduce the possibility of encountering it.  First check to make sure that everything is properly adjusted, such as the headset, front wheel, stem and handlebars, and racks.  Next, try to move as much of your load as possible to front panniers.  If you are still having a shimmy problem, you can change your position on the bike to dampen it.  Try clamping the top tube with your knees, lifting your weight off the saddle, or leaning further forward towards the handlebars.  I'm assuming that the shimmy occurs at high speed, such as on a descent.

Sean

Offline biker_james

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2006, 08:14:22 am »
My understanding is that some of the older touring bikes did tend to have problems with shimmy, as the tubing used for the top tube wasn't stiff enough for the load. If thats the case (I have no idea), you may have to decide if its an acceptable amount of shimmy, or look at a newer bike. Maybe someone will remember the bike and post something more helpful.
Saying "don't take as much" isn't really addressing the issue, especially as we don't know what he carries now. I've carried 60-70 pounds on my Cannondale, and there is no shimmy to it.

Offline MikeLIeber

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2006, 09:16:10 pm »
All of this sounds good and helpful.  I was carrying about 50-60 pounds with less in the front than I should have had.  I also carried the tent, ground gloth, sleeping pad on the top of the back rack.  I got a pair of Lizard panniers for the front.  Should I get bigger ones?

Offline scott.laughlin

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2006, 01:22:33 pm »
Some people say you should carry 60% of the weight up front.  Try moving it around and see if the shimmy goes away.  

You might try preloading the bearings in the head set.  Or tow a trailer?

Offline TheDaltonBoys

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2006, 05:20:10 pm »
With regard to the thought that a little suffering builds character....that wouldn't have per chance sprung from the neighborhood that espouses the saying "...travel light, freeze at night" would it?? Some of that character building I went through at l9 years of age is why I carry the "kitchen sink" or as the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers used to put it (and I'm paraphrasing here) "...better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it". But I do understand the notion of suffering. Enjoy the voyage.........Mark of the Dalton Boys

Offline wanderingwheel

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2006, 04:52:39 pm »
I don't think you necessarily need larger front panniers. In fact, large front panniers often cause problems while cornering.  Rather, focus on putting all of your dense, heavy items in your front panniers.  I will usually pack the front panniers first and stuff as much into them as I can.  Whatever is left is packed in the rear panniers, which are rarely more than half full.

Sean

Offline MikeLIeber

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2006, 05:01:00 pm »
Many thanks for the excellent advice.  You all have convinced me not to be too quick in buying another bike, which my buddies are prodding me to do.