Author Topic: Biking in Denmark  (Read 3139 times)

Offline Kyle

Biking in Denmark
« on: February 09, 2006, 11:00:47 pm »
My wife and I are planning a 3 week trip to Denmark this summer. Since we're new at this we need all the help we can get. Do you recommend taking your own bikes? If so, are there airlines with special rates for bikes in cartons? What can one expect to pay to ship a bike? Does membership in Adventure Cycling provide for any discounts? What about shipping a BOB trailer? Geez, I'm desperate for any help and suggestions you can give me! Thanks

Offline ptaylor

Biking in Denmark
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006, 03:39:16 pm »
I can't help you much, as the only European cycling I have done was on a commercial group tour. It sounds like you are going self supported.

I have done a fly & ride in the US with a Bob trailer. On all my fly & rides (except for the European tour), I have shipped my bike ahead of time via UPS (about $50 or so). On the one instance where I used a Bob, I was able to find a box big enough to ship it via UPS, so I simply shipped two cartons at the same time: one for the bike, one for the Bob.

Unless you are an experienced self contained tourer, I would strongly urge you to tour Denmark with a commercial touring company.

Gramps
Paul

Offline dfege

Biking in Denmark
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 12:42:17 pm »
I have biked in Europe many times, including Denmark.  I have never shipped my bike ahead of time, so I can't help you there. I have always taken the bike with me on the plane.

Most (but not all) airlines will let you take your bike on an international flight for free, counting as one piece of luggage.  You can either get a box from your local bicycle shop and pack the bike (probably the safest).  Either the bike shop can pakc it for you and you can do it yourself.  In addition, most airlines will let you buy a generic box, for $15 or more, to put your bike in.  For airline boxes, all you need to do is loosen and turn your handlebars (you may have to disconnect brake cable if not long enough) and take the pedals off.  You can usually get a box from at the airport, but then you have to stand in line twice: once to get the box, and then to check-in.  So allow enough time.  You can also put other things in the box to cushion the bike, like bikepads, or sleeping bags.

When you return, you can arrange to get a box from a bicycle store near the airport, not an easy thing to do.  Or you get a box from the airlines.  Some of the airlines only give you a big plastic bag to put your bike in.  I'm always scared when that happens, but nothing serious has happened yet.

Double-double check with the airline about their policy on taking bikes.  Usually they don't know!! I have gotten different answers, so it's worthwhile to do the homework ahead of time.

When you get to the airport in Denmark (Kalstrup?), just a nice out-of-the-way place to spread out and assemble your bike.  I have put my bike together in some of the finest airports in Europe: Hamburg, Gatwick, DeGaulle, Frankfurt, Shannon.

Wish you luck.  

I have never taken a BOB, so I can't help you there.

Offline dfege

Biking in Denmark
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 12:44:40 pm »
By the way, you probably already know but Denmaark is VERY flat.  I think the hightest point is something like 900 feet above sea level.  But the winds can be debilitating.  And the campgrounds are awesome.  Have a great trip

Offline Alaska'79

Biking in Denmark
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 02:16:47 pm »
I toured Denmark a few years back and had a great
ride.  A VERY bike friendly country.  Very flat and
easy riding.  Because the riding is so easy ( ok,
there is wind) and biking such an accepted way of
getting around this might be one place where bringing
your own bike might not worth the hassle.  With a
little research you should be able to rent what you
need, this country is into bikes.  Get a camping pass,
and don't miss out on the best beacher in Europe!