Author Topic: Cycling maps?  (Read 3016 times)

Offline Sir_Geek

Cycling maps?
« on: June 09, 2006, 03:08:02 pm »
Greetings, gentlemen. I've got a rather stupid question. I'm planning a cycling trip from my home in southeastern New Hampshire to Montreal this summer, but I'm finding that determining the route is more difficult then one would think. There are many free internet mapping services I've found - but they all assume that you're driving and so they often direct you over highways that are illegal to bike on, ect. I need to follow back roads, but these programs don't usually include those as part of their suggested route. Do you chaps know of a mapping program designed for cyclists?

Thanks for your help.

Offline wanderingwheel

Cycling maps?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2006, 03:20:06 pm »
Of the online mapping programs, Mapquest does have an option to avoid highways and toll roads.  From the Mapquest homepage, go to Directions, then hit Advanced Options in the bottom of the destination box.  However, I wouldn't simply use the calculated route without first checking it on other maps.

Another resource for your ride is the Boston-Montreal-Boston Randonee.  Take a look at the route for this annual endurance ride and see if it gives you any ideas.  http://www.geocities.com/b-m-b/

Sean

Offline Turk

Cycling maps?
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006, 06:28:40 pm »
I've found that changing preferences to the "shortest" route can give you a reasonably good bike route. The programs generally give you the "best" or "quickest" route for a car.

Offline Fred Hiltz

Cycling maps?
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2006, 06:15:56 am »
Hi S_G,

If you have not seen them yet, do check out the excellent cycle maps published by NH DOT at http://www.nh.gov/dot/nhbikeped/. They are available for download, but they are large and colorful, so you may want to order the free paper maps after a look on the web site. Many NH rest areas also had the maps last year.

The statewide map covers the state on two sides of a 34" x 21" sheet at 3.8 miles per inch. Seven regional maps of the same size give more detail than you probably need for a trip of this length, but are great for local hacking around. Roads are color coded for bike suitability. The back pages contain monthly temperature and precipitation graphs, state campgrounds, parks, rest areas, and useful telephone numbers.

Fred

Offline Sir_Geek

Cycling maps?
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2006, 09:45:03 am »
Excellent - those DOT maps are perfect. Thanks very much for all your help.

Offline jimbeard

Cycling maps?
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2006, 10:44:41 pm »
Wanderingwheel thanks for tip on using Map Quest advanced options to find better roads for bicycles.
      jim

Jim

Offline TheDaltonBoys

Cycling maps?
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2006, 10:20:35 am »
Sir G - Also try a "search" under the title "Route Verte Canada" also "Le Petit Train du Nord". You might find something there for you as they will list, and link you with Canada's ever growing national bikeways. Enjoy the Voyage....Mark of the Dalton Boys