Author Topic: newer than a newbie  (Read 1595 times)

Offline Diantha

newer than a newbie
« on: June 11, 2006, 04:43:07 pm »
When I say newbie...I mean it.  I currently ride for exercise a beautiful Lake Ontario loop of about 23 miles 3 x per week....My teenage son and I often do it together and have recently talked about traveling that way and maybe "meeting up" with the rest of the family....so many questions...First things first, need a new bike (both of us!) Are there recommendations that you have for new adventurers such as us???  We both currently ride a (SEARS!!!) mountain bike.....I dream to bike the atlantic coast someday but would like to start small....I see there are some established routes....Do you just take those + map the more specifics to/from your area???  I have a million questions but will start with these... ;)
Thank you!!!!!  

Offline Badger

newer than a newbie
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2006, 07:10:16 pm »
See if there is a local bicycle club, there will be a wealth of information you can get from club members.  Same goes for local Bicycle shops.  More information on the net then you can read. There are many books on touring and just riding.  The one common factor about riding is it is fun.

Offline Fred Hiltz

newer than a newbie
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 07:41:42 am »
Hi Diantha. Badger is right about where to start. There is so much information out there that sorting it for your needs is the hard part, not finding it. I might add to find someone who does the kind of riding you intend and who will spend some time, perhaps riding along the lake with you, to remember how he or she got started. Ask at the bike shop or at a club ride advertised as a fun ride, not an event for wannabe racers. What a racer says with the best of intentions about, for example, the right bike and how to train will not be much use.

Don't ignore one of the best resources right here, the How To link on Adventure Cycling's front page.

And most of all, have fun!

Fred