Author Topic: Seat versus Handlebar height  (Read 1837 times)

Offline nnelson_78

Seat versus Handlebar height
« on: September 13, 2007, 03:23:36 pm »
Hello,

I am getting a touring bike very soon, and I am considering different sizes that would give different seat vs. handlebar heights.  How do people who like to tour like their seat vs. handlebar height (level, handlebars lower, or handlebars higher??)?  I know it is subjective but I am trying to get maybe a general concensus.  I have had many bikes (road and mountain) and because of having really long legs I have always had the seat way higher than the bars.  I was wondering if my back would appreciate a break with having the bars near level with the saddle, and doesn't it allow you to enjoy the scenery to a higher degree.  

Thanks so much for the advice.

Nick

Offline staehpj1

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 05:46:41 pm »
I tour with my bars at the same height on my touring bike as on my road bike (3-4" lower than the seat).  I think that on average tourists like their bars a good bit higher than that though.

Offline ptaylor

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 04:14:01 pm »
Here is my thinking. After spending a full day riding:
  • If your butt hurts, lower your handlebars
  • if your neck, hands, arms, shoulders hurt. Raise your handlebars

Pretty subjective I know. Conditioning can make your neck and shoulders stronger, allowing you to lower the bars. My bars are the same height as my saddle.

Paul
Paul

Offline RussellSeaton

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2007, 05:53:20 pm »
Concensus?  On my three road racing style bikes I have the bars about 2 inches lower than the saddle top.  On my loaded touring bike I have the bars about even, maybe 1/2 inch lower than the saddle.  Same horizontal reach on all bikes.  I'm about 5'11" tall.