Author Topic: WHAT IS THE BEST VALUE PANNIER.- help  (Read 2871 times)

Offline sparky

WHAT IS THE BEST VALUE PANNIER.- help
« on: May 19, 2008, 10:37:24 am »
What are your opinions for the best (Value) Rear Pannier . 75% camping ... Light but fast .. I need to purchase now..  I have been riding 1000-2000 miles a year for 27 years.. and for my 50th birthday I plan to ride from Indiana to Gulf Shores, AL (JUNE 17)..What works best for any of you  

Offline staehpj1

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 11:16:53 am »
There are different price ranges and different opinions.  I was happy with the ones we used this summer.  Three of us used a combination of Nashbar waterproof panniers (performance also has a similar model) and Transit Epic Pro.  All worked out well for our 4244 mile trip and will surely last for many more.

Nashbar currently has the ones that two of us used for rear bags on sale at %65 off.  They have a similar front pannier that is on a lesser reduction sale.
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=&subcategory=&brand=&sku=6997&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=Show%20All%20Products
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=&subcategory=&brand=&sku=6998&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=Show%20All%20Products

Lots of folks spend more, but we were very happy with these.

This message was edited by staehpj1 on 5-19-08 @ 10:18 AM

Offline RussellSeaton

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 12:51:47 pm »
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=600066&subcategory=60001004&brand=&sku=6796&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=Shop%20by%20Subcat%3A%20Panniers

I used the Nashbar ATB panniers for both front and rear.  Bought mine in spring 1992.  Been on a 4,000 mile summer ride around Europe.  Couple weeks in the US and a few more weeks in Europe over thea past 15+ years.  Work just fine.  Mine were made in Pennyslvania way back when.  Guessing Cannondale factory.  Unsure where the current versions are made.

Offline sparky

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 05:10:15 pm »
Two of you replied with NASHBAR..and seems that this comes from experienced travelers..   I will check the Website out..  Thanks for the reply..and get back to you with my questions..  Sparky

Offline litespeed

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 08:18:25 am »
After a rainy tour around the country in 2004 I got thoroughly sick of fooling with the rain covers on my otherwise excellent Bruce Gordon panniers. I bought a full set of yellow Ortleibs including handlebar pack. They are simple, extremely convenient (pop off with just a yank on the carrying handle) and totally waterproof. I've put about 10,000 miles on them. It's hard to beat German ingenuity. Also I was surprised at the low price. I bought them through REI which has excellent customer service. This message was edited by litespeed on 5-20-08 @ 7:20 AM

Offline tgpelz

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 07:49:17 pm »
I have used three different brand of panniers since 1986.  Initially, I bought some panniers because of the low price.  I used them about one season.   I did not like the quality, or the utility or the wearability.  They tore, ripped, etc. very quickly.

I then purchased some better panniers sold by Cannondale and used them for almost 15 years, until I wore too many holes in them.  

About five years ago, I purchased some Arkel Panniers.  I really like them.  They are a quality product.  

Someone has mentioned the Ortleib product.   I agree that they have a great product.  I have one of their bags that I use with my BOB trailer.   My sister loves hers.   I just like lots of pockets so that I have everything in it's own pocket, etc.    

I would not recommend that you run out and by the Arkels anymore than I would recommend that someone buy the most expensive bike they can afford, until they know that they will make use of the bike and its panniers.

Tom

This message was edited by tgpelz on 5-30-08 @ 6:56 PM

Offline bogiesan

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2008, 12:00:04 pm »
http://www.mikebentley.com/bike/panniers.htm

Lots of dead links but fun to follow. So many choices from around the
world.

"best" and "value" may not be compatible terms. PUrchasing panniers
is also based on your needs for flexibility, utility, field repairability,
ease of mounting-dismounting. Capacity is another issue. If you buy
big panniers, you will fill them with stuff you shouldn't be carrying.

david boise ID

go, ristretto, FCP/AE
"Read the manual."
I play go. I use Macintosh. Of course I ride a recumbent

Offline peddler

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2008, 06:08:06 pm »
Hey,
Hard to go past Ortliebs.  We use the front panniers on the rear to keep the weight down.  We tent but don't carry food between towns (don't need to in the US.  We then each have a handlebar bag and the lad carry's the tent on the top of the rack.  
The advantage - it forces to you go light and then the added advantage is you can go further in one day.  On one side in the front ortlieb bags you can fit your thermarest, sleeping bag, liners, cups and toiletry bag - in the other side all your clothes.  Hope that is helpful
Good luck!