Author Topic: Rumble Strips  (Read 1213 times)

Offline Ride2it

Rumble Strips
« on: July 01, 2008, 03:08:36 pm »
As a cycling tourist and supporter of alternate transportation I would like to get a converstation of how the installation of rumble strips are affecting cycling.

I believe that rumble strips are a detriment to cycling.  I see many installations on once prime cyling routes forcing the rider on to the highway in order to avoid the strips causing a very dangerous situation.

Are there any groups advocating a bicycle frendly installation of these strips?  What type of rumble strips have you seen that could qualify as bicycle friendly?

Offline staehpj1

Rumble Strips
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 03:56:57 pm »
Rumble strips can be OK, but often are done in a way that is just plain hostile toward cyclists.  The worst we saw were near Hutchinson Kansas.  Route 96 maybe?  They were all the way across a shoulder that was maybe 8-12' wide!

Some of the ones in Wyoming took up the whole shoulder in an area where there was NOTHING to hit if a driver ran off the road.

Other places they were a nice buffer between the lane and a nice smooth ridable shoulder.  Those I didn't mind.

I worry that people use rumble strips as a crutch to keep driving when they should stop.

Offline wanderingwheel

Rumble Strips
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 05:55:51 pm »
Generally I don't have to worry about rumble strips where I ride, but one recent installation really caught my attention.  A narrowish two-lane road winding down a small river canyon with heavy traffic had a centerline rumble strip installed to avoid head-on collisions.  As a cyclist, it makes the road more dangerous becuase drivers are now hesitant to cross the centerline when passing.  Also, the centerline rumble strip effectively removed some of the minimal shoulder by pushing the lanes apart.

In some areas I have seen rumble strips doen well.  Narrow strips (about 3") with frequent breaks, placed next to the white line on roads with standard shoulders don't bother me at all.

I never like to see drivers who are "driving by braille" either...

Sean

Offline Ride2it

Rumble Strips
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 07:29:37 pm »
In my experience I have noticed drivers not moving to the right when centerline rumble strips are installed.  In my home town, the city has installed centerline rumble strips and turtles to "minimize head on collisions".  I spoke with the city explaining the driving behavior that these develope and their response was that centerline rumblestrips  stop head on collisions.  When asked directly if head on collisions are a recurring event in residential districts in our city they had no data.  

I am at a loss as to why our cities should be installing these rumble strips in a residential area when in fact head on collisions are not a factor.