Author Topic: Florida trip  (Read 3137 times)

Offline JimK

Florida trip
« on: February 06, 2004, 02:21:03 am »
I am planning a one week bike ride with my 13 year old son in March. I will be flying in and out, so I need to start and finish near a major airport. Can anyone suggest a great ride?

Offline Jackalope

Florida trip
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2004, 06:41:32 am »
That's a bit tough, but if you can get to the Ocala National Forest area I would highly recommend that.  You're nearest airport would be Orlando I think.  Perhaps look into Tampa or Tallahassee.  There should be decent riding surrounding those areas.  It's tough getting to some of these places with only a week though.  Good luck!

Offline DaveB

Florida trip
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2004, 05:50:18 pm »
The best riding I know of in FL is north and west of Orlando in Orange and Lake counties centered around the town of Mt. Dora.  The roads are fairly low traffic and rural and there are actually a couple of hills!  Check out "Sugar Loaf Mountain Drive". The Florida Freewheelers Bike Club has maps of several rides in the area on their web site and Orange Cyclery bike shop (on Edgewater Drive) has a big loose-leaf binder of maps they will copy for you.

Lucky13

Florida trip
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2004, 11:01:22 am »
 >>I am planning a one week bike ride with my 13 year old son in March>>

It may be a bit late for you, but cycling along the Atlantic coast can be quite nice. ACA has a map that covers the stretch from Jacksonville south to Ormond Beach. One can follow the coast road (A1A) all the way to Fort Lauderdale before encountering any serious urban sprawl. Traffic is there, of course, but auto drivers seem conditioned to expect cyclists and the coastal roads generally have modest speed limits.

Highlights could include the St. Augustine historic district and fort, wandering around Merritt Island NWR and the NASA complex, watching the surfers at Sebastian Inlet, camping at Jonathan Dickinson state park and lounging around Jupiter Inlet, and cycling along "millionaire's mile" in Hillsboro Beach.