Author Topic: How to cross WV  (Read 3450 times)

Offline zaleski7

How to cross WV
« on: March 10, 2004, 09:08:16 pm »
Anyone have a suggested route for crossing West Virginia west to east? Thanx!!

Offline usrandoneur

How to cross WV
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2004, 11:51:28 pm »
Where are you wanting to go? Are you looking for fast, scenic, flat, or short.

Offline zaleski7

How to cross WV
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2004, 05:58:49 pm »
I'm looking for a route that I can survive! I tried 60 from Charleston to Rainelle and it is narrow, high traffic, and full of coal trucks and 18 wheelers that can't negotiate the switchbacks without cutting them diagonally.

I've found a south to north route from Williamson via Charleston to Sutton, Buckhannon, Belington, Morgantown, but I haven't been able to find a route across. Since I can get south to north, the point at which a route crosses the state west to east is not important. I just don't want to get squashed.  Thanx!!

Offline gregh1

How to cross WV
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2004, 04:16:15 am »
Riding through West Virginia east to west was one of my favorite sections of a cross country tour I did in 2000.  I rode WV solo, and don't really remember the details of the road and traffic conditions (all the states blend together after awhile!).  Not being from the area, I expected the worst, but was pleasently surprised.  It was quite a challenge, but rewarding too.

Anyhow, I posted a map of the route I took here.  This won't show all the detail, but will give you an overview.  Email me if you'd like more detail.  If you have MS Streets & Trips, I can send you the route file if you're interested.  Just let me know!

Greg

This message was edited by gregh1 on 4-1-04 @ 1:19 AM