Author Topic: Pacific Route Traffic in July?  (Read 2801 times)

Offline jdh3334

Pacific Route Traffic in July?
« on: March 14, 2004, 09:34:39 pm »
I planned to ride the Pacific Coast route beginning in early May 2004. However, I injured my ankle while running last week and it looks like six to eight weeks of recovery. In order to allow the injury to heal and train for the journey, I'm thinking about leaving in late June/early July. I've read that vehicle traffic can be pretty bad in mid to late summer. Just how bad is it? If I leave sooner, as planned, I'm afraid of doing permanent damage to my leg. UGH! Wish they'd invent a magic pill to heal tendonitis.

Offline TRobertson

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2004, 06:05:00 pm »
I rode the Pacific Coast route (at least from Santa Barbara to
the Mexican border) last July and while the traffic could be
heavy at times, I never felt that it was dangerous. There was
a nice shoulder/bike lane for much of the route that made it
enjoyable. I was a bit skeptical before the trip, thinking that
we would be fighting traffic the whole time...and was
pleasantly surprised that the riding was so good.

Tom Robertson
Adventure Cycling

Offline Fred Hiltz

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2004, 10:22:43 am »
I rode from Yosemite to the San Juan Islands in 1999, from 6/15 to 7/15, mostly on this route. Looking back at my logs, just two traffic items appear.

I pulled off occasionally for log trucks where sight distance ahead was short or where two were passing near me. The drivers seemed to appreciate that.

Long quiet periods when you can hear the birds and smell the grass presage the arrival of a Queen Dowager recreational vehicle followed in stately procession by a retinue of irate local drivers.

All in all, the traffic was not a problem except where you would expect it near the big towns. Most of the big towns are in California, whose drivers are more polite to cyclists than most, IMO.

Fred