Author Topic: NCT-A can of worms?  (Read 2819 times)

Offline TwoWheeledExplorer

• World Traveler
  • "I am well, thank God, and in high spirits"
NCT-A can of worms?
« on: April 01, 2004, 09:36:17 am »
I am going to open a whole new can of worms here, but can you imagaine a 4000 mile trail, mostly singletrack, running from Lake Champlain through the southern Adirondacks, across the Finger Lakes, a stones throw from all of the Great Lakes, and across the plains to Lake Sakakawea in North Dakota, with campsites and/or shelters every ten miles or so? Well, the trail already exists, although only about half of it is completed at this point. The North Country National Scenic Trail (NCT) has been growing for the past 30 years or so, and much of it is open to mountain biking. (Basically it is closed to bikes where it passes through Wilderness Areas, and a few administratively closed sections, like the Superior Hiking Trail in MN) Now the National Park Service, which oversees the trail and the NCT Association, a volunteer group that does a lot of the ground work, are going to get their shorts in a knot about this, but IMBA is encouraging us to ride on the open sections of the NCT. In the Midwest alone, that will open up over 200 miles of singletrack in three states, much of which is is stretches over 50 miles long. I am headed up to the section in the Chequamegon National Forest (WI) next month! --New Yorkers; Check with your DEC regional office or Forest Ranger for admin. closures in your area before you ride!--

Hans Erdman, WEMT
Backcountry Trail Patrol
www.trailpatrol.org

This message was edited by Trailpatrol on 4-1-04 @ 8:46 AM
St. Brendan's Two-Wheeled Explorer
www.twowheeledexplorer.org
Dedicated to the adventure of missionary exploration...to the ends of the earth.

• World Traveler
NCT-A can of worms?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2004, 09:43:33 am »
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention; IMBA also is encouraging us to work on the NCT. Contact the local land management agency to see where you can help out. Don't bother contacting the NCTA. They will tell you that they don't need cyclist's help. (They do, but they're stubborn.) And by all means, join the NCTA!

See you on the North Country Trail!
Hans

Hans Erdman, WEMT
Backcountry Trail Patrol
www.trailpatrol.org
Dedicated to the adventure of missionary exploration...to the ends of the earth.

Offline Cephas

NCT-A can of worms?
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2004, 10:48:27 am »
From the NCTA website:
All segments of the North Country Trail are open to travel by foot: hiking and backpacking, and the trail is generally managed as a hiking trail. However, other non-motorized uses, including bicycling, horseback riding, mountain bikes, dog sledding, cross country skiing, snowshoeing and jogging may be permitted on a given segment, as decided by the local managing authority responsible. While hikers can go anywhere, they should remember that some trail segments were not necessarily designed as hiking trail, nor built by hikers.

If that's so, why are they going to get their shorts in a knot if someone bikes on an open segment? Is there more to the story?

• World Traveler
NCT-A can of worms?
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2004, 09:29:19 am »
The National Park Service (NPS) is charged with overall administration of the trail. To accomplish this, the NPS works with various other government agencies, non-profit organizations, and volunteers. Chief among the organizations is the North Country Trail Association (NCTA).

While the entire trail is open to hiking, only portions are open to other non-motorized uses including mountain biking. The NCTA position is that bicycling on this trail is "best accomodated" on some hardened surfaces (e.g. paved rail-trails), whereas riding on singletrack is "inadvisable at best."

In light of this position, there is no guarantee that portions of this trail will remain open to cyclists. It is imperative that cyclists always follow the Rules of the Trail; volunteer to help build and maintain the trail; and consider joining trail advocacy organizations such as the NCTA and IMBA.

Ride safe,
Hans