Author Topic: Your next "dream tour"  (Read 4094 times)

Offline Jackalope

Your next "dream tour"
« on: May 07, 2004, 05:11:06 am »
I would like to do the National Parks route... After that an around the world tour..

What is your next dream tour.  One you've been dreaming about for a while?

Offline brad

Your next "dream tour"
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2004, 09:48:59 am »
well for memorial day weekend i am riding from lake constance in germany to colmar france up the rhine river on the french side back home to heidelberg germany.

my dream trip of a lifetime is an around the world

perhaps the dream trip that is achievable is a ride on the transamerica from east to west down the pacific coast route and back on the southern tier.

If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home. ~James Michener

Offline Jackalope

Your next "dream tour"
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2004, 05:59:32 am »
I just came up with this tonight.. So I finish my job here in Arizona this July. I had been thinking about heading up to Canada on my bike, but tonight I had this idea for a "four corners" trip. So I get to Canada by September/ October, take a left.. from BC ride down the Pacific coast, pit stop in Baja for NYE, rest  then continue riding east towards Florida, arriving in March to visit the Florida trail crews, pit stop in Key West.. then bike north up the atlantic coast as spring moves north with me. Arrive home in NY about this time next year, rest.. back on the bike north to Maine

How about that for a dream tour :p

Offline rtwbikerider

Your next "dream tour"
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2004, 05:49:42 pm »
Jackalope and Brad, your “dream tour” of cycling around the world is not as difficult as you might think. If you’ve done some self-supported touring in the past, can handle up to 18 months away from home, and have enough money to buy your next mid-priced automobile, then you can bicycle around the world. I cycled around the world in 2001-2002 and lived to tell the tale. A trip of that magnitude requires a lot of preparation, but it is “do-able” for most bicycle tourists, in my opinion.

Plan on spending the first 6 months in the northern hemisphere, the next 6 in the southern hemisphere, and the final 6 back in the north. I started my trip in Europe and the Middle East, dipped down to Australia and New Zealand, and finished in the USA. It took me 15.5 months. I probably spent between $30,000 and $35,000 (including food, lodging, airfare, health insurance, phone bills, furniture storage, and miscellaneous). Because I preferred staying indoors to camping most nights, and because my route took me through many expensive tourist areas, that number is high. In hindsight, there are many ways in which I could have saved money (including a round-the-world plane ticket), but I was having too much fun at the time.

So, start planning. Even if you never actually attempt your “dream tour”, it’s still lots of fun preparing to see the world on your terms.

This message was edited by rtwbikerider on 6-2-04 @ 5:11 PM

Offline JayH

Your next "dream tour"
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2004, 09:10:57 am »
So when do we start planning, Brad? :)

My next dream trip is the trip I postponed from last year, biking to Baxter and climbing Katahdin, from where I live in NJ.    

But biking around the world would be amazing, for sure.

I'd like to bike on mars too but the water issue might be a problem with all of it somewhat frozen.. :)

Jay

Offline brad

Your next "dream tour"
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2004, 04:50:57 am »
jay h,

i might have some problems getting their from here in germany!

brad

If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home. ~James Michener

Offline Travelinguyrt

Your next "dream tour"
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2004, 09:17:22 am »

Tentatively planning 2-3 months in Europe starting mid July, camping, hostels BnBs, first trip there on a bike.
Hit a snag over the weekend. Friend who was going to care for my dog decided that it was to much time, and theat he would become  far to attached to him. SOOOOOOO if I can't find a sub, I'm going to do  a shorter trip SF to the Baja
Round the world is feasible for me, but the vagabond in me has given way to long term ties to a home and partner so prob won't ever do that one