Author Topic: Belfast, ME to the White Mountains, NH  (Read 2944 times)

Offline JayH

Belfast, ME to the White Mountains, NH
« on: June 30, 2004, 03:50:05 pm »
I'm trying to resurface my attempt at biking to Baxter State Park to climb Katahdin from NJ but I was just invited to do some backpacking in the Pemegawasett range in the White Mtns not far after my scheduled Baxter trip. I have a friend in Belfast I was planning on stopping by on the way to Baxter and I might swing by on the way back if she doesn't join me in Baxter.  Anyway, I'm considering biking to the Zealand trailhead on Rt 302 in the whites.. Saw NH's bike map (PDF):

http://www.nh.gov/dot/nhbikeped/pdf/map-wm2.pdf

But does anybody know roughly the terrain from Maine to the Whites going west?  I assume it's going to be hilly, I know part of the route I think is on the Kancamaugus highway.    I know I can plug that into Maptech's TN but sometimes makes molehills look like mountains :)

Jay

Offline Fred Hiltz

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2004, 02:08:26 pm »
Hi Jay. I have cycled a few times in that area and driven through more often. Belfast to the Whites is actually rather easy terrain, dominated by Maine's lakes and rivers. Very pretty riding. You will seldom encounter a hill of more than 200'. Your only significant climb comes at the end (of course). Crawford Notch is 620' and quite steep near the top, but its scenery will distract you.

Autos would take ME-3 and US-302. ME-3 is not very good cycling and US-302 is downright poor. If I were riding it, I would take secondary roads, aiming to cross the Kennebec at Waterville and stay north of US-302 until the NH state line at Fryeburg.

I would take US-302 and NH-113 into Conway, then the West Side Rd north to rejoin US-302 in Bartlett. Visit Conway and North Conway only if you like heavy traffic and outlet stores. The remainder of US-302 in NH has moderate traffic but excellent shoulders. Expect lots of seniors driving big RVs.

Fred

Offline Peaks

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2004, 10:08:49 pm »
Belfast ME to the Lincoln NH is part of map #11 of the Nothern Tier route.  This map has a profile, so you can get some idea of the terrain.  

But, there are some kick ass hills in the Sweeden Area just east of South Paris.  And of course, the long climb east of Conway.