Author Topic: Southern Tier Starting in February...  (Read 2429 times)

Offline KevinSherm

Southern Tier Starting in February...
« on: August 03, 2004, 02:11:18 am »
I have about 2 months to do a ride starting at the end of January or the end of February.  From what I've read, my only option is the Southern Tier.  This being said (unless there's another option that anyone can think of), what will I be forced to deal with starting this tour, from East to West, at this time?

Are extreme weather conditions going to be an issue?  I am really looking for any advice/suggestions anyone has.  If you have ridden this route, or know of anyone or a website that could explain it, please let me know.  Thanks for whatever help you can give.

Offline ATSFfan

Southern Tier Starting in February...
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2004, 01:53:51 am »
Although I didn't start the Southern Tier until April 6 (going east to west), I did encounter a number of riders that had left San Diego heading west in mid-February and they reported hitting snow at Emory Pass in New Mexico in March. It will likely take you a month to get to New Mexico from Florida, so you'll be there in early March, still plenty of time for snow. If the road conditions are bad, you could detour from Las Cruces along I-10 to the AZ/NM border, then head north and pick up the route again through the Gila River Valley.
You'll probably have less headwinds from AZ to San Diego than I did.