Author Topic: Quebec Tour on La Route Verte  (Read 4737 times)

Offline 10thgear

Quebec Tour on La Route Verte
« on: December 02, 2004, 12:30:51 am »
I am planning a route from Montreal to Central Massachusetts for the summer of 2005. I would like to use some of the La Route Verte. My initial route is from Montreal to Enosburg Falls, VT. I am looking for a copy of "Take a Ride on the Green Side" for planning purposes. The 3rd Edition is sold out so I am looking for used copies or older additions. I would even appreciate a loaner copy so I can make plans. I would return a loaner before I tour.

Offline bikerbob

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2004, 05:18:54 pm »
Like you I would like to ride the Route Verte in 2005. I contacted the publishers of the booklet that you refer to and was advised to check back in early 2005 and they might have the 4th edition available. I also read on a posting that the booklet was not that helpful for route planning.
I would recommend the touring thread of bike forum (www.bikeforum.net) There have been several postings there on the Route Verte. One of the respondents, Michel Gagnon, of Montreal is vey knowledgeable.
Also go to www.crazyguyonabike.com. You might luck out on one of the 10 postings about touring in Quebec.
Plus there was a write up on the route in Oct 2004 edition of Bicycling.
I hope this helps

Offline velonomad

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2004, 04:02:49 am »
In August I rode the Route Verte from Montreal to Quebec City then southwest through Sherbrooke QC to Magog then southwest to Richford VT, I rode through Burlington and the Champlain valley back to NY. It was great ride, Quebec is beautiful, the people are very friendly, Lots of cyclists to meet along the way
First of all the Route Verte Guide is a waste of money at $25us. It gives very little detail and many of the on road routes are poorly signed.Based on someones reccomendation I ordered the cartotek geo maps http://www.cartotekgeo.com/Html/pagep.html Thier phone number is 514-336-0031 you can order the maps over the phone with a credit card (they greet in french but do speak english) the maps are $4 each.
I would be glad to loan you my copy of "take a ride on the greenside" email me your snail mail address. mudfly@nycap.rr.com

Rick Krough
Ballston Lake NY

This message was edited by velonomad on 12-9-04 @ 12:04 AM