Author Topic: Raising Money...  (Read 2045 times)

Offline frazzmo

Raising Money...
« on: January 11, 2005, 11:42:51 pm »
I've wanted to bike across country for a couple years now and being out of college, now have the time to dip work and ride.  I am most likely going to do the TransAmerica route, for simplistic reasons.  My intentions are to use my ride to raise money for Autism, a disorder affecting thousands of kids everyday.  

Anyway, I am wondering if a mountain bike is okay or should I buy a road bike.  I have a road bike now but its already been across the country (passed down to me) and is in pretty shabby conditions.  I am used to mountain biking though, but my GT frame is an aluminum 3 pounder and it needs a lot of work.  Great for trails, but I am guessing not too hot for the country roads.  

So, any information on bikes, other gear and of course, tips for the Trans Am trail would be great. I live in Pittsburgh now, but am moving back to Cincinnati, Ohio in July and might plan to go to VA from there.  Yes, I am a newbie, so don't poke fun!

Thanks.

Offline MrBent

Raising Money...
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2005, 01:11:34 pm »
The mtn. bike will do fine.  Many people do road touring with them.  Just get a good, reasonably high pressure (85psi) set of road tires, and you should be good to go.  If your bike doesn't take panniers, just go with a trailer.  Many like the BOB; I'm a big fan of the Burley Nomad--two wheels, more stable, easier to move when off the bike.  Just fix up the old MTB and go.  You should have some good barends for more hand positions, however.

Scott