Author Topic: Ticonderoga NY: riding north  (Read 2180 times)

Offline Fred Hiltz

Ticonderoga NY: riding north
« on: January 26, 2005, 08:53:09 pm »
Anyone from Ticonderoga, NY not completely frozen up yet? I am planning a route coming across the ferry from Shoreham and going north toward Crown Point.

Have you any recommendation for routes north of town? The Green Mountains Loop takes Shore-Airport Rd, which is not too pleasant. How does 9N/22 compare? Any shoulders there? How about Delano Rd/CR 22B: is it paved?

All tips appreciated!

Fred

Offline Paul

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2005, 01:13:00 am »
If you want to stay in NY from Ti, then Delano Rd/Essex49 is the way north to Crown Point.But if you want really rural riding, stay in Vt. and go up Lake Road which hugs the lake. It is dirt for a good portion of it, but very ridable with wide tires.This will take you to the bridge,not the town of Crown Point though. Be sure to stop in Crown Point Bakery which is on Rt 9 in the town. Have fun.

Offline Fred Hiltz

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2005, 12:03:11 pm »
Hi Paul. Thank you, especially for the bakery alert and the county route number correction. (My maps variously call it 22B, 44, and 49. Essex County apparently had an indecisive road commissioner, or perhaps a series of decisive ones.)

Like you, I prefer the Vermont side, and have ridden some of the Lake Road as an alternative to the Green Mountains Loop route. I had an inquiry about the NY side, though, and cannot remember the suitability of those roads for cycling. Is Delano Rd paved all the way?

Fred (South Burlington)

Offline Paul

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2005, 01:38:19 am »
Fred,yes its all paved,and relatively flat. I did it last August on a loaded tandem tour with my wife. We were comming south but I don't recall any bad hills . If you want hills, continue on the NY side up to Essex,now thats some granny gear riding for sure.
  This summer we are kicking around doing the Green Mt. loop,how are the maps AC sell for it? Paul.

Offline Fred Hiltz

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2005, 02:40:17 pm »
Paul wrote:
> If you want hills, continue on the NY side up to
> Essex,now thats some granny gear riding for sure.

Yeah! We do the Charlotte - Crown Point - Essex ferry loop every fall when the snow geese come to Dead Creek. Hills indeed.

> This summer we are kicking around doing the Green Mt.
> loop,how are the maps AC sell for it?

They are good. I have led tours over most of the route and ridden all the rest a few times. I got a close look at the maps when preparing the GPS waypoints for the route.

Drop me a note if you decide to do it, when you will pass through Burlington. My sweetheart and I might be able to ride out with you a way.

Fred  fhiltz at yahoo dot com