Author Topic: Astoria Oregon  (Read 3647 times)

Offline Dugglis

Astoria Oregon
« on: March 07, 2005, 01:18:12 am »
My son and I are starting our great adventure from Astoria, heading west on the Lewis and Clark.

Could you please tell me the best way to get from the airport in Portland to Astoria? (bus, cab, rental?)

I assume that we will ship our bikes out ahead of time.  Can anyone recommend a bike shop to send the bikes to?  What about a hotel/hostel/campground for our first evening?

Any and all advice would be appriciated!

Offline valygrl

Astoria Oregon
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2005, 05:10:24 am »
Uhaul rental one way from Portland to Astoria is cheaper than a one way rental car.  Bus (greyhound) is also a possibility, but the schedule didn't work for me, and for two people the cost was almost a wash.  I think it was $90 for the uhaul rental.  

I took the bike on the plane with me, assembled it in the airport, rode to Uhaul (3 miles), got the truck, picked up my partner at teh airport (he had a later flight than me), then we drove to Astoria.  My tour partner had his bike shipped to the hotel.  THe next morning i took the uhaul the 2 miles into town with my bike in the back, then rode back, while my partner assembled his bike in the hotel room.  It's easy to just call a hotel and ask them to accept the bike in advance, they are used to cycle tourists there.   I think the hotel was named Hilltop or Top of the HIll, or something like that. THis is also a good way to ship stuff that the airlines won't let you take on the plane, like stoves and fuel cannisters - just UPS to a hotel.  

It was nice to have a hotel for the first night, as the exitement level and logistics complicated things enough that camping would have been a burden, rather than fun.

have a great ride!

Offline Dan_E_Boye

Astoria Oregon
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2005, 10:32:14 am »
I hope you meant you were heading east from Astoria.  Heading west you will get very wet and there are no services until Hawaii.   ;)

Offline scottskaja

Astoria Oregon
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2005, 05:55:45 pm »
I checked into starting from Astoria last year. I would have done
something similar, fly into Portland. I found there is a seasonal Lewis &
Clark train that runs from Portland to Astoria, through some very
scenic areas. Sounded very cool, and a great addition to the adventure.
I did a Google online for bike shops in Astoria, called one of them, and
they said to ship it to them. They even offered (for a small fee) to
assemble it ahead of time.

Scott
Minneapolis, MN