Author Topic: Katy Trail (MO) and road tires  (Read 3553 times)

Offline JimF

Katy Trail (MO) and road tires
« on: March 15, 2005, 07:00:18 pm »
Can you traverse the trail with skinny tires (25 mm and greater)?

Offline RussellSeaton

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2005, 10:01:10 pm »
I am guessing you meant 25mm and skinnier tires.  EDIT:  Kansas-Missouri-Texas not Kansas-Atchison-Topeka is the official name of the trail.  I am sort of positive Atchison and Topeka are in an old railroad's name somewhere.  The railroad trail is very finely crushed limestone.  Packed pretty hard.  Flat of course since it was a railroad bed.  You can ride it with regular skinny (20, 23, 25mm) racing tires and a racing bike.  Given a choice, I would choose a 32mm or 35mm tire.  I used my 35mm tire touring bike many years ago.  My Mother used her old road bike with 28mm tires a couple years ago.  Another person I know used one of those long wheel base recumbents with whatever road type tires are available for those wheels.  For many miles of the trail it is a gravel road going through farm fields.  The parts around Columbia are the most ridden and scenic miles because they actually go right along the Missouri River.

As for a route across Missouri, it would probably be OK since it goes from roughly St. Louis to Kansas City.  Adventure Cycling has a route across Missouri in their TransAmerica series of maps.  Quite a ways south of KC and StL.

http://www.adventurecycling.org/routes/transamerica.cfm?pg=detail&s=9

This message was edited by RussellSeaton on 3-17-05 @ 11:15 AM

Offline JimF

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2005, 11:00:39 pm »
Thanks, Russell, for your information. It will help our group make some decisions on our trip across.

Offline daveM

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2005, 12:12:06 am »
Remember that the KATY's surface is hard packed in the dry weather but after a good rain it is not as easy to ride with skinny tires.  For the most part, any tire will do.  I live close to it and ride it often if I can help with any other info.

Offline jkm4_72

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2005, 01:36:18 am »
If you're going to be carring a load, I think 25mm would be the absolute minimum.  Except for a few washouts and soft spots, the trail was perfect when I rode it last year.  Immediately after a rain the trail was extremely mushy but during the rain was very fast.

The name of the trail or railroad does not derive from Atchison or Topeka.  The railroad was the Missouri-Kansas-Texas (abbreviated as MKT and nicknamed 'Katy' due to the phonetic pronouncment of the last 2 letters).

This message was edited by jkm4_72 on 3-16-05 @ 10:40 PM

Offline JimF

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2005, 11:50:21 am »
daveM:
Thanks for the info. If you are willing to send me an e-mail directly: jpfox@ehs.umass.edu , I do have some specific questions. I am a member of a small group looking at the Katy as an option for crossing MO.

Offline scott.laughlin

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2005, 02:53:20 pm »
You'll make it fine as long as it doesn't rain and turn into a slury.

Offline jkm4_72

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2005, 07:16:15 pm »
Something else you might consider is using maps by the Missouri Bike Federation.

http://www.mobikefed.org/mobikemap2004/

When you're riding on the trail you soon realize that every important town is on the south side of the river and you're on the north.  The closest the trail comes to Kansas City is at Boonville and that still leaves you 100 miles from KC.  In addition to the Transamerica trail as a way across Missouri, Adventure Cycling has the Lewis and Clark route.  This route uses the trail between St. Charles and Boonville and best of all is just 1 map.

http://www.adventurecycling.org/routes/lewisandclark.cfm?pg=detail&s=1

Lots of options, sounds like fun, good luck.