Author Topic: Trans Am  (Read 2851 times)

Offline Dan_E_Boye

Trans Am
« on: March 19, 2005, 10:47:47 am »
I have been reading the descriptions of this route and I notice that sometimes it says to carry extra water.  How much is extra?  I don't suppose there would be more than a day without finding water somewhere, or am I being too optimistic?  Is a gallon enough or too much?  What's the longest stretch between watering holes?  I'm planning on doing this ride self-supported.  I expect to do at least 75 miles a day except in the rockies of course.  That raises another question.  I suspect that there are plenty of streams in the high country where I can filter and purify so I won't need to lug extra water up those mountains.  Is that wishful thinking on my part?  

Offline Peaks

Trans Am
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2005, 06:47:55 pm »
Well, you sound like a backpacker.  I know, because I have done a lot of backpacking, and that was one question I had prior to doing the Northern Tier last summer.

Biking is different.  I usually filled my water bottles at gas stations and stores along the way.  Never needed to fill from a stream or ditch.  Although I carried my filter, I never used it.  So, my advise is to look at the map, and figure out the distance between towns, and how long it's going to take you to get there.  Then, how much water are you likely to need.  Myself, I carried 2 water bottles on the bike, and a collapsable Nagene Canteen.  When it looked like I might need extra water, I filled the canteen.  And this was not frequently.

Offline rtw

Trans Am
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2005, 12:39:47 am »
I route this route last year and never needed more then 3 water bottles.  The worst day is the John Day National Park and it can be made on the 3 bottles if you fill up at the park.

Offline Fred Hiltz

Trans Am
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2005, 11:08:17 am »
My experience echoes Peaks and rtw's. Three bottles sufficed all but once on the Northern Tier. After a hot climb in the Cascades I pulled in to an overlook, approached a couple in an RV for a refill, and got a nice visit as a bonus. RVs carry large tanks of drinking water.

I carried the awful-tasting purifier tablets for emergencies, but never needed them.

Fred

Offline transam95

Trans Am
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2005, 04:57:02 pm »
Your biggest worry is *remembering* to refill the bottles in town, as I didn't on the half day's ride approaching Berea KY from the east. I carried 3 bottles, but didn't fill up at the lunch stop. On another occasion further west, I boiled the next morning's water when, at a campground in the Ozarks, I anticipated finding running water. These were the only 2 close calls, & they weren't really anything to be concerned with.