Author Topic: St Louis Airport to start of L &C at Hartford Il  (Read 2153 times)

Offline raywish

St Louis Airport to start of L &C at Hartford Il
« on: April 18, 2005, 03:20:24 pm »
Any experience on getting to the start of the Lewis & Clark Trail would be welcome. ie Is there a recommended bike shop that would receive my bike, assemble it and drive me out there. Is assembling the bike at the airport and biking on rte 67 to Alton and then backtracking to Hartford the only reasonable choice?

Ray Wishner

Offline judyrans

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2005, 07:00:49 pm »
First, do the Adventure Cycling maps give a route? I don't know because we did our trip before they were published.

We used a route in Tod Rodger's Bicycle Guide to the Lewis & Clark Trail, http://www.deerfootpublications.com/index.html.
The author has helpfully put a copy of the book on-line so you can browse it before ordering. By going to http://www.deerfootpublications.com/chapters/05wb.pdf, you can see his directions for getting from the St. Louis Airport to St. Charles.

It was very nice of him to make the book available on-line. You could print the whole book out for free, or at least for just the cost of the paper. But, that's really stealing. Buy the book! And, if you'd like to have daily route sheets, you can print them off the computer. This way you don't have to tear up the book.

I haven't tried to compare the book route to the Adventure Cycling Route.

There was some road construction going on when we went from the airport to St. Charles. Things could be different. And I think we scratched our heads a few times, but you ought to be able to make it. I don't see anything in the updates. Traffic wasn't a problem.

We found the book useful for our trip even though our trip was sagged by a commercial touring company. It was nice to have an idea about what could be found in the little town.

Have a good trip.

Offline raywish

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2005, 09:38:05 pm »
Thanks Judyrans. St. Charles is like a straight shoot from the airport. However, the official L & C route starts at Hartford which has thirty miles to go before reaching St. Charles with two ferry crossings.

Ray Wishner

Offline daveM

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2005, 03:21:35 am »
Hi, I live in the St. Charles, Mo. area and am very familiar with the Katy Trail, which is part of the L & C route.  I would fly in to St. Louis and start the ride at the airport or taxi across the river to St. Charles.  The first 30 miles would not be accessed but logistically this would work the best.  There are a couple bridges you could bike across easily to get to the Katy.  If I can help in any way with info let me know.  DaveM