Author Topic: Cumberland, Maryland to Oberlin, Ohio  (Read 2171 times)

Offline hughstone

Cumberland, Maryland to Oberlin, Ohio
« on: April 24, 2005, 12:20:14 am »
Hello all.  First of all, ACA has helped me immensely in the last year plan a trip that I have been waiting to do all of my life. Thanks to them and you for your advice. My son and I are riding east to west semi-cross country this summer starting near Washington, DC and ending in Portland, OR. Along the way we plan to do a bit of the NT (Indiana and Illinois) and most of the LC.  The challenge in the planning has been the eastern part of the trip. We are riding modified cyclocross bikes and will do the C&O canal to Cumberland, Maryland if it is dry enough. From there, it is a bit up in the air.  For reasons not worth going into (but probably having to do with girls), we plan to pass through Oberlin, Ohio where we can join Columbus Outdoors Route “N” that joins ACA’s NT at Monroeville, IN.  So, how to get to Oberlin from Cumberland?  Ohio doesn’t worry me as much as Pennsylvania.  Does anyone have experiences with SW Pennsylvania that they could share?  Is it worth following the Allegheny Highlands Trail to get close to Pittsburgh and then heading west?  Is there something that parallels US 40 that is safe enough to ride? Any help would be greatly appreciated.  (For any interested, we will keep a journal/blog at www.bikedust.org.  We leave for what we hope will be a 60 day crossing on May 23rd.)

Offline valygrl

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2005, 05:22:56 am »
Not familiar with the exact area you are asking about, but PA is definitely a place to keep your eyes open - a lot of traffic, very steep hills, few bike lanes.  There is a network of cycling routes through the state, which are well worth checking out.  

http://www.dot.state.pa.us/BIKE/WEB/tour_routes.htm

The state bicycle coordinator David... shoot, forgot his last name... was very helpful to me on the phone, as well.

Have a great ride!
Anna

Offline hughstone

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2005, 12:08:29 am »
Thanks, Anna.  I think that (The Pa "S" trail) will work for us. (Get us from the Allegheny Highlands Trail to Wheeling, West Virginia.)  I have driven, but never biked, from there to North-Central Ohio through some real pretty countryside.