Author Topic: Bike Europe  (Read 6611 times)

Offline barbiedoll

Bike Europe
« on: May 12, 2005, 11:41:38 am »
Are there any cyclists in need of information about biking around Europe? Especially Germany? I am an American living in Heidelberg (by choice) and the last 3 years have been spent biking all over the EU.

Also, is there an area to post bike journals here?
I am a Newbie and would love to tell my crazy stories to adventure biking enthusiasts.Text ;p

"Sucess is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm"

Offline brad

Bike Europe
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2005, 12:20:11 pm »
where in Heidelberg do you live? I lived there last year myself in Kircheim. There are some great groups that ride from there with a lot of german-english-american expats. I live near Frankfurt now and my quads do not miss climbing the Koenigstuhl so much.
Brad

If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home. ~James Michener

Offline drew

Bike Europe
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2005, 04:27:39 pm »
Sure thing.
Whatever you have to say about Tuscanny in October would be great!
We are US midwesterners used to some bad weather but are not sure how warm we should set up our sleeping bags and tent. We are going to self sustain with a Bob Trailer so far and are keeping the weight to as much a minimum as we can.  We decided on Pisa as a start point to minimize starting off in an area that would be congested and thought we may be able to store bike transport material at the train station.
Thanks

Offline Girovita

Bike Europe
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2005, 06:34:51 pm »
Hi Drew--

Not sure if this is too late to respond, but I lived in Tuscany (Lucca) for a year. It's pretty cold and rainy about now, and it generally stays that way until the end of April. The good news is, the tourist crunch has subsided and fall is arguably the best food season. Good luck!

Susan

Offline AKTandem

Bike Europe
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2006, 04:37:34 am »
My wife and I are planning a trip to Central Europe this summer. We fly into Vienna June 15 and plan to make a loop covering Bratislava, Budapest, Krakow, Dresden, Prague and Vienna. We have a folding/collapsable tandem. We have 21 days and plan to travel by train when we are not riding. We plan to ride the Danube Cycle Way from Vienna to Budapest but beyond that..? We would like to cover around 100km/day, staying in pensions or hostels at night. If you have any experience traveling between any of major cities listed above and/or suggestions on maps and books I would really appreciate a reply. Thank you,
Ryan

Offline Mira!

Bike Europe
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 12:21:41 am »
Lots of cyclists post their journals at crazyguyonabike.com.  I'd love to read yours there!  Someday I want to do Europe, but I've got a couple of tours to do in North America, first.  I think.

Offline crm

Bike Europe
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2006, 05:56:39 pm »
Hello.....I am ariving in Madrid in late August to stay with friends there before starting out for three months of exploration.  Anything about best biking routes to the South and the East are appreciated.  Anything about truly  inexpensive places to stay (not camp) also helpful.  BTW: I am a 20 year+ professional Shiatsu practitioner and am looking to trade work for a roof over my head.
--Thanks

Offline mgarnett

Bike Europe
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2006, 09:10:39 pm »
AKTandem -- did you complete this trip?  My husband and I are considering doing the Passau to Vienna to Budapest (or maybe Prague) route next summer and would love to get your feedback on the trip, and also your thoughts on the Bike Friday tandem.  Thanks!

Offline AKTandem

Bike Europe
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2006, 10:23:28 pm »
Yes we had a great trip. We cycled the route from Vienna to Budapest usign the book, The Danube Cycleway, as a basic guide. The campgrounds in Hungary were great.

We travled by train between Budapest, Kracow and Prague. The folded tandem, in its carry bag, along with the two pullman-size suitcases that become the trailer made for some awkward luggage but we did fine.

After a few days in Prague we loaded up and rode basically south through the countryside following the main Greenways cycleway (pretty well marked with yellow signs the whole way). Our route included Czesky-Krumlov, Trebon, Telc, before crossing back into Austria and heading for Krems. Our last day on the bike, Krems to Vienna was easy going along the river, compared with the continuous up and down of the previous five or six days - very hilly in CZ.

The bike performed very well. We carried everything we needed for 21 days including light camping gear in the two suitcases stacked. We used the heavy-duty axel as we probably has a gross trailer weight of 80-100 pounds. This is the only tandem I have owned so I can't make comparisons, but the bike is solid and we encountered no problems. Once we get our trip organized we'll post a travelogue and pictures on the web.
Ryan

Offline barbiedoll

Bike Europe
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2006, 06:00:50 pm »
I can recommend the route along the Danube, from Passau to Vienna is one of the nicest and well kept biking routes but so very popular that you might find it a bit crowded at certain times of the year.
Prague also has the Moldau/Elbe bike route to Dresden which we enjoyed riding 2 years ago. They have improved that bike route but there are still some rough spots.
This past September we went to the city of Munich for a week of Oktoberfest and just to explore the city which lies along the Isarr River. The English Gardens stretch 20 miles along that river from the city center to the suburbs with some very nice riding. And Oktoberfest was a hoot. Forteen beer tents and constant beer deliveries by horse-drawn beer wagons! I never saw so many men in those cute little leather "Lederhosen"!
Munich was a great biking city, very well structured for the bike. We enjoyed it. :)

Offline johnn

Bike Europe
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2006, 06:05:05 pm »
has anyone done any of the major rivers in Europe.  in 2001 I rode from Dresden-Prauge-Viena-Budapest.  I am in Nice, FR and am looking for a good trip to do in March, April '07.  thanks