Author Topic: Green Mt. Loop  (Read 2471 times)

Offline Paul

Green Mt. Loop
« on: May 20, 2005, 01:29:43 am »
Anyone familiar with the Green Mt. Loop? I am doing it in June and would like a heads up as far as camping , food,and sights to see. Thanks, Paul

Offline Fred Hiltz

Green Mt. Loop
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2005, 11:43:28 am »
Hi Paul. I live nearby and have ridden all those roads, most of them many times. New England cycling is quite different from the wide-open spaces of the west and mid-west; it is no accident that organized U.S. bike touring began in Vermont.

The towns are close together, rarely more than 30 minutes ride between. You do not have to carry food and water for the whole day. The roads form a dense network, so we can almost always choose a route that avoids heavy traffic.

Camping, both public and private, is plentiful. The popular campgrounds fill early in peak seasons, so plan to call ahead. Food can be any style you want, from a sub at the convenience store to gourmet dining.

Sights to see? It depends on what you like to look at. Foliage, waterfalls, museums, college campuses, and recreational shopping are all thick upon the ground. Adventure Cycling missed a great opportunity to mark on their maps the garage where Ben & Jerry's began, just three blocks off the route in Burlington .

Fred

Offline robverner

Green Mt. Loop
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2005, 04:14:51 pm »
Great place to ride. Be carefull of arriving in small towns after 6 PM planning to get food. Remote towns tend to "pull in the sidewalk" after 6.
Rob  check     http://www.vtbikeped.org/

Offline Peaks

Green Mt. Loop
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2005, 09:04:17 pm »
We just finished the Green Mountain Loop.  Things not to miss:  I'd say Lake Carmi State Park.  We also camped at North Beach in Burlington, and went to Church Street for dinner.  

Other sites to see:  Shelburne Museum.  Plan on spending at least one full day.  

Some one else asked about this bike ride, and also said they were going to be at the Bon Ton Roulet in July.  So, maybe they can hook up with us there and we can talk more.