Author Topic: Touring Vancouver Island  (Read 2634 times)

Offline jakus237

Touring Vancouver Island
« on: June 30, 2005, 01:16:40 am »
My girlfriend and I have roughly two weeks of vacation and we want to head out to Vancouver Island towards the end of August, beginning of September.
I would love to hear any and all recommendations about
biking the island.  I have only been to Victoria, but hear that the rest of the island is absolutely beautiful.
We will be self supported and don't have a set schedule.
Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Jake

Offline bikerbob

Touring Vancouver Island
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2005, 01:37:02 am »
Go to www.bikeforum.net, select the "touring" thread. find the search forum and type in "Vancouver Island"
Enjoy your tour.

Offline biker_james

Touring Vancouver Island
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2005, 08:11:40 am »
The Island is a pretty nice place-thats why we moved here. There is one main highway (19) going north from Victoria, and it tends to be quite busy, but has good shoulders. There are other secondary roads you can take for much of the trip that avoid Hwy 19. Are you planning on visiting the Tofino?Ucluelet area? It is nice over there, but the road doesn't seem great for cycling (narrow, winding, and no shoulders), especially in summer with the tourist/motorhome traffic. If going to Tofino, I would recommend taking riding to Port Alberni, and taking the passenger boat "Lady Rose" to Ucluelet. It is a beautiful boat trip also.
There are maps available showing the recommended secondary routes from www.cycletouringcanada.com (on the self-guided tour page.)
Maybe we'll see you on the road later on.

Offline jakus237

Touring Vancouver Island
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2005, 11:41:20 am »
Bob...
Thanks for the bikeforums.net link.  I will check that out.
James...
Thanks for the heads up on Hwy 19.
I tried looking all over the link you suggested but could not find any maps pertaining to self-guided touring.  I would love to see those...could you give me more specifics on how to find it.
We will be heading to Tofino.  I have heard really good things about that reagion.  
How is camping on the island?  Do you recommend trying to do the whole island in just two weeks?
I've heard that there is not many bikable roads north of the Columbia river area.  Do you know anything about this?
Thanks for letting me pick your brain.  
Best,
Jake

Offline Styx

Touring Vancouver Island
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2005, 05:21:06 am »
You should also try out bike club's forums. A lot
of folks from the Seattle Area have toured there.

http://www.cascade.org/Community/forum/index.cfm

I will be in Vancouver during the club's R.S.V.P.
ride in early Aug. However I will not have the time
to tour........