Author Topic: Lewis & Clark - Section 7  (Read 3088 times)

Offline Styx

Lewis & Clark - Section 7
« on: June 30, 2005, 04:32:29 am »
Two of us plan to Amtrak Seattle to Portland and do Section 7 (and 6) from there. Any tips or warnings about route? We have the maps and companion book. We also have the Deerfoot Publications Book. Time frame is Jul 6 to Jul 17 for sections 7 and 6. We are going West to East.

Washington option for first few days?

Supposedly a trail near a fish hatchery before Cascade Locks? Anyone know of this?

Particular interest is the area for 100 Miles going EAST from North Roosevelt, Wa or Biggs, Or. It seems a little desolate.

Camping location, food, views, or ???

Offline B

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2005, 12:04:51 am »
Styx:
I just got back from doing almost the same trip as you're planning.  I, too took Amtrak to Portland (from St. Paul, MN) and found it a neat way to travel.  I started in Astoria, Or and finished in Lewistown, MT.  From Missoula I went onto the section 5 map, but here's what I can tell you up to Missoula:
-lots of waterfalls on the Oregon side.  Multnomah Falls is the most popular but some of the others (such as Latourel, Wahkeena and Horsetail) are very nice also.  The Historic Scenic Columbia River Highway is very scenic with lots of shade trees for comfortable riding.  Several neat overlooks of the Columbia Gorge.
-Rowena Crest has some wonderful views of the graceful switchbacks falling downwards into The Dalles.
-The Dalles has some neat murals on some of the downtown walls.
-I like the scenery from Walla Walla to Waitsburg.
-Also some good looking country along Alpowa Creek just before Clarkston.
-Long uphill climb from Culdesac to Winchester, but also quite scenic.  Nice campground at Winchester State Park.
-Beautiful, beautiful ride along the Lochsa River.  Sometimes hard to fully enjoy as Highway 12 has a fair amount of traffic (including trucks) and has no shoulder...ride aware.
-East of Biggs services are rather sparse (with the exception of Umatilla).  This stretch contains an absurd number of discarded soda bottles filled with pee, more so than any other stretch of road I've been on.  Crow Butte Park has plenty of room for camping.  They also have a small store with snack type stuff located in a building at the swimming beach.  They just opened as I was there, hours of operation may vary.
Hope you have a wonderful ride,

Brad

Offline Styx

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2005, 08:26:31 am »
Brad thanks for the info........ did you have
any problems with water of food after Biggs until you
reached Lewiston, Id.??? We are carrying stoves yet
plan on cooking minimally....... how many miles a day
did you travel?

Offline scott.laughlin

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2005, 02:25:39 am »
Styx,

Did you ever run a BBS back in the Commodore days?

Offline Styx

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2005, 09:30:10 am »
Yeah I did, not the one you are thinking of,,,,,,,
I am from Memphis and ran The Knight Light! for
several years there.

Offline B

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2005, 01:08:47 am »
Styx:
I didn't experience any problems with food or water between Biggs and Lewiston.  I didn't bring a stove, I ate out along the way.

For the entire trip my goal was to average around 50 miles per day.  My mileage on the Biggs/Lewiston stretch bounced around quite a bit.  I went about 60 miles from Biggs to Crow Butte Park (camped), 90 miles to Walla Walla (motel), 30 miles to Dayton (camped), 80 miles to Lewiston (camped).  I had my mind made up to motel it in Walla Walla, that was the reason for that high mileage day.  The day to Lewiston was a very easy day of riding.  I had a tailwind, plus it seemed I had a lot of gradual downhills.

Brad

Offline judyrans

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2005, 07:43:49 pm »

Styx wrote:

Supposedly a trail near a fish hatchery before Cascade Locks? Anyone know of this?

I hope this is being sent too late...

Columbia River Gorge Bike Map

Historic Columbia River Highway

We got copies of the brochures at the Visitor Center for the Dam at The Dalles, but that will be the wrong end for folks riding from the coast.

According to The Cyclists' Yellow Pages you can get the bike map by calling 503-986-3555, e-mailing michael.p.ronkin@odot.state.or.us, or go to
Bicycle Maps and Touring Information .

Have a good trip!