Author Topic: credit card the TransAmerica trail?  (Read 2349 times)

Offline SKYMAX

credit card the TransAmerica trail?
« on: September 18, 2005, 09:29:56 am »
Is it possible to stay at motels/hotels and hostels on the AC Transam so I dont have to carry all the camping stuff?
The reason I ask is the transam map route guide on this site keeps mentioning long stretches with no services and carry lots of water, etc.
Thanks, Max.

Clear skies, Max.
Clear skies, Max.

Offline Peaks

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2005, 05:54:57 pm »
To answer your question, look at the ACA maps for the Trans Am, and then plan your trip accordingly.  Where there is a long stretch between services, including motels, look at the distance and terrain, and figure out if it is doable for you between services.  

Offline MrBent

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2005, 11:34:37 am »
Hey, SkyMax:

I urge you to reconsider leaving behind the camping gear.  One of the great charms of bicycle touring, for me and many others, is camping in unusual, fantastic places.  Most importantly, with camping gear you are much more flexible in your planning.  You get to some nice spot and you want to linger. With gear, camp away.  Without, tough luck.  Get educated on the latest, lightweight camping gear.  With some planning, you can keep the weight down.

From the BROL (Bentrideronline.com) forum, I know you're a Haluzak rider as I am.  On my last tour, I towed a Burley Nomad trailer.  This was a smooth, convenient way to travel.  I loved it.  In a few days, I'll be leaving on a four day tour through the southern California mountains.  This time I'm using Radical Designs recumbent panniers that just drape over the seat and rack.  I'll lash my pad and tent to the sides of the seat with nylon straps.  I loaded the bike up and spun around the 'hood a few times--super stable.  The great news is that I'll be saving over 10 lbs.!  No need for an underseat rack.  Anyway, I'll write a full report when I get back and when the BROL forum is back up.  I've attached a link to some photos: some of the basic bike and a few of the bike fully loaded with new panniers.  Also note the kickstand mod.  I just used some 1" aluminum angle stock from the hardware store--a much more stable kickstand.

http://community.webshots.com/album/184370414yzcRBv

Anyway, this is probably more than you wanted, but I'm convinced you'll miss the camping gear.

Ride safely!

Scott